Treasure Planet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve jaros, Jul 4, 2002.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Saw the trailer for this one today - *looks* fantastic, i.e., the animation. Whether the execution of the story will be well-done or not is, of course, another issue.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I thought it looked a lot like Titan A.E. 2, and to tell the truth, I didn't like Titan A.E.

The quality of the visuals is amazing, Disney movies are the most visually impressive animated films out there.

3. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Yes - it could be a Titan AE kind of disappointment. We know trailers can be deceiving. But this one did look visually amazing, and that's a good place to start from.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The art direction in the trailer reminds me heavily of a Japanese videogame called "Skies of Arcadia" that came out two years ago.

5. Richard WWW

Richard WWW Stunt Coordinator

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Pretty much all of their movies are rip-offs, except for a few. Of those few, only one or two are actually good.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

It would be nice to actually see some evidence to back up statements like this. What constitutes a rip-off in your book. Disney's animated movies are mostly adaptations of existing books rather than original works but they are not rip-offs. If they can be classified as rip-offs then most every film made in Hollywood is a rip-off.

One of the most controversial movies made by Disney, "The Lion King", is considered by overly rabid fans of anime to be a rip-off of "Kimba The White Lion". I have watched some of those Kimba episodes and the case for "The Lion King" being a rip-off is totally overstated. "The Lion King" makes more of a nod to Shakespeare than Tezuka's "Kimba", at least IMO. For one thing "Kimba The White Lion" has much more interaction between the animals and humans. The themes in "Kimba" seem to focus more on human impacts on Kimba's jungle home and the denizens, thereof.

"The Lion King", on the other hand, has almost zero animal-human interaction and focuses more on the rivalry within the family unit....Scar vs his brother, Scar vs Simba, etc. The movie also touches on rivalry between different animal factions, ex: "upper class" Lions vs "lower class" Hyenas. It was unfortunate that the Disney crew chose to call their main character Simba. The similarities between the two names only added to accusations of plagiarism. It is possible that a lot of people who worked on that film thought that they were paying homage to a character that influenced them in their childhoods.

I have read a lot of your posts regarding DISNEY and a lot of the time I get the impression that you don't like their movies simply because they are made by "DISNEY". I wonder if you would still have such a bad opinion of them if all of a sudden they had the name "GHIBLI" attached to them.

9. Richard WWW

Richard WWW Stunt Coordinator

I got the impression that Morgan was referring to the fact that Disney gets their stories from previously published source material. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Anyway, I'd like to see Treasure Planet end up being a film that I can enjoy watching with my kids, since I have to see the damned things all a thousand times anyway, whether I like them or not.[​IMG]

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor