What's new

Treasure Island- your adventure awaits! (1 Viewer)

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
With my faithful sea dog Bryn, we've buried a priceless treasure chest somewhere in the world- hardly known but very specific! Armed with film knowledge, a good atlas or maps and a little scouting/surfing for further info, one of you will hit the jackpot!

The first set of clues' 1st letters will give you the country of departure. Just the departure point, not the destination.

1.Python swallows short sci-fi marker for numerous tree-climbers.

2.Ooh, la la. Gene's musical romance wins Oscar.

3.Don't take the miike if this assassin's not up to scratch.

4.Jenny's lost down-under.

5.Anti-war milestone goes silent.

6.Mancunian's indecent exposure in 1993 London?

Right, got the country? Just capital! On the waterfront, set sail in the next direction, on a thousand mile ocean voyage, keeping close above Miller's crossing (a bookworm's guide). Where the treacherous Turk may blow his top, and a flag was planted, turn north to the next little island group, with wrecks, corals, dolphins, sharks and boobies; at the small one meaning South, green turtles find a fan-tastic pond beach. Get digging.

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, when you know the answers, the clues seem a lot easier! Hope i've not misjudged it. But it has been done elsewhere. Then again, the guy was really clever.

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
O.k. here are some alternative clues.

1. One of Monty's throws sci- fi Marker for Bruce, mad Brad and simian dozen.

2. Kelly must love this city in the Springtime.

3. Takashi Miike's blood-splattered assassin.

4. Roeg directs Agutter on Aussie stroll.

5. The WWI guns have stopped in 1930 classic.

6. Mike Leigh laid bare?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1 - twelve monkeys
2 - Chicago (guess)
3 - Ichi the killer (guess)
4 - Walkabout
5 - All Quiet on the Western Front
6 - Naked

So, Taiwan if #2 is an A and not a C

Sam

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
Quite right. Well done, both. Taiwan is the place to set sail from! Let me know if you fancy the voyage, anyone. If you know about the Oscar winner for 1954 and its director it will help.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I simply didnt get enough time last night to work on part two, and now am leaving for a lab with no net access =( Good luck on the final part, I want a share of the booty from whomever wins =)

Sam

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the delay; had Xmas visitors. If you've understood the "on the waterfront.. next direction" clue properly to start you off from Taiwan (further clue; Steinbeck, book of Genesis), you'll have plenty of open ocean to yourself for quite a distance- 1,000 miles about. Keep the writer Henry Miller's most famous book in mind, then the McCarthy witch-hunt's treacherous Hollywood Turkish-born director (for the alternative name of a group of islands with lava, ash, sulfur..), and when you pass the largest of these 3 islands, where John Wayne's war marines famously planted a flag you're just a short hop away from the final little island group. Knowing the Japanese for South will help get the right island, and net surfing with green turtles should find the exact spot, a fan-shaped pond and beach.

Some Lat/Long details to come if still no takers.

Would you believe one guy found the island in under 20 minutes, when i tried this elsewhere! Then someone nipped in and stole the treasure from under his nose. He's a bit of a genius, gave a false impression as to the difficulty- otherwise i'd have given a few more clues.

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
o.k. Can't let this fizzle out.

You should have headed East from Taiwan. On the Waterfront director Kazan's next film was East of Eden. To just East of 140, and North of (Miller's book) Tropic of Cancer. And it's not the Volcano islands (aka Kazan Retto), with its main island Iwo Jima (Wayne in The Sands of Iwo Jima). Next group of islands the ones you want. Just pick the right island and the beach. No finders in the next day, i'll be off with the treasure again myself.

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, i've hung round long enough to see if anyone turned up. Treasure now gone. It was at Ogi-Ike "fan pond" beach on Minamijima island (one of the Bonin islands, East of Taiwan and South of Japan).

Check out the spot on the net; beautiful place to spend some time, even without the treasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks