What's new

Treasure Island (1990 Version) (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I ask ye - when we we see the likes of this here film on dvd? Anyone know the OAR and if Turner or whoever owns this will release it? I havn't seen it for some time but I think Charlton Heston's acting was simply great ( along with Christopher Lee and Oliver Reed ) - and this version takes the prize overall.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'd love to see it released! Heston's Long John Silver was the first to play him as other than a cuddly, loveable rogue. And Christopher Lee was scary. An excellent cast from top to bottom.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
We're one year and a half later, and still no trace of this TV movie on any DVD medium.
It is a nice version of the tale and Charlton Heston's Long John Silver is an interesting and rather unique incarnation of the character.

Especially now, after Heston's recent death, I would love to have this on DVD or even an HDM version.
Does anyone know if there is anything of a legal or formal nature blocking such a release?

Cees

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I would welcome a DVD of Treasure Island. The TCM version with Heston and Lee and Reed is the most literate. It's entertaining and suspenseful Robert Osborne's interview with Heston would make an appropriate supplement. There was some behind-the-scenes footage with the actors talking about their characters which I'm curious to see again because this version fleshes out the story more than the previous versions.

I would also welcome a DVD of A Man Of All Seasons. I remember hearing that author Robert Bolt revised his original play just for Heston & Co.

Sounds like TCM has a good package here.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've been extremely disappointed that this TV version - which I feel is the best of all - hasn't been released to DVD. The 1934 version I found irritating because Jackie Cooper was an insufferable child actor; the 1950 Disney version was excellent but could have benefited from a longer running time and just slightly less "colorful" Long John portrayal (although Robert Newton was fun). The Turner version fleshes out the characters very nicely and doesn't go over the top - Heston is quite superb here, and it would be a true shame if his performance, one of his best of the last twenty years, wasn't shared with the current generation. Who owns the Turner stuff now, Warner Bros.?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
It's 2009 now and this film still hasn't been released. It's still #1 on TCM's most requested films not on DVD list (www.tcm.com/top/notondvd/)

Am I correct in assuming that Warner holds the rights to this film?

If so, I hope they add it to their schedule this year. Now is a good time to honor the late Charlton Heston and capitalize on Bale's surging success.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This DVD is long overdue, and I just voted for it on TCM.com but that site isn't reliable. E.g. Wuthering Heights (1939, William Wyler - with Sir Lawrence Olivier - place #33 on that list) has been on DVD since the first year 1997. And I own it.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks