What's new

transmitting music from PC to HT (1 Viewer)

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm sitting here perusing the HTF, listening to mp3s. My pc speakers are pretty good, but is obviously no match for the HT setup in the next room.. (duh)
Is there any products or methods out there to transmit the sound coming from my PC to my receiver without running a wire through two rooms?
Maybe through the air? Or I think I recall hearing something about a product that can use your phone lines, or electrical wiring?
Greg

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The wireless solutions are less than perfect. Reception is spotty (depending upon your home and where it's located) and sound quality isn't great.
Dell has their Digital Audio Receiver ( Link Removed ). It works via ethernet or Home PNA (through yor normal phone lines -without tieing them up).
Turtle Beach has a similar product called Audiotron ( http://www.voyetra-turtle-beach.com/...cts/audiotron/ .
I've read good reviews of each. I actually owned the Dell for a couple days. I just couldn't get the damn thing to work.
I ended up running a single digial coax cable from my soundcard to my HT. It's a 90' cable run that spans the attic. The sound quality is excellent and I can store my playlists on the PC. Best of all, the whole project only cost me about $25 for the home made cables and $15 for the wall sockets.
-Camp

CRyan

Screenwriter
I have a question regarding this issue as well. Seems like the last time I tried hooking up my PC to my HT, I always seemed to have a hum. Very obvious with no music present. I never tried the digital connection. Does a digital connection prevent this hum?
Getting rid of the hum seemed like a hopless task with all of the components within a PC.
Thanks,
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Oooo... I like those setups from turtle beach and dell. Yeah, those are just what I was looking for!
Camp, was the Dell unit hard to setup? Wondering why you might not have been able to get it to work..
Greg

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I just couldn't get my network to "see" the Dell Digital Audio Receiver. I'm quite sure it was a case of user error rather than any problem with the hardware. I probably just gave up too soon.
The only problems with the Dell and Turtle Beach units are their potential lack of expandability. Future PC audio formats may or may not work on these devices. I don't think the Dell likes VBR MP3's either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks