Transformers the movie... the live-action movie!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Thi Them, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

2. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    went to a 10:20PM showing last and had to work this morning. imho, it wasn't worth it. saw it with a bunch of friends, some of whom saw it twice.

the action didn't disappoint, but what really disappointed this time is michael bay. before you say anything lemme explain.

i've been following his career ever since i saw bad boys. here was a dir. who knew how to capture beautiful moving shots for film in general. he definitely has RAW talent for that... but lacked the sense to develop characters behind what they are for an action film. i think there's a lot to do and a lot of great work and potential can be had, think john woo for his HK chow yun fat shoot 'em ups. thus, every subsequent film, you see him getting a bit better @the character meanwhile he was doing LESS signature bay shots (the gimmicky ones) as time went on. pearl harbor had the LEAST, even with the bomb being dropped from the plane from way up high, it still fit the scene naturally. the rock's nic cage flare kneel is just iconic! i haven't seen the island yet...

this transformer business is a step BACKWARDS for him. first, he was growing (just a bit) with every subsequen picture to have a bit more meat character-wise, slowly but surely i was positive he was making progress, but then this came along and he just regressed to a 6 year old... although, this is kinda' whom it was made for. the boy+his car story is so cartoonish and buffoonish that even kids will find it stupid. the boy+his girl story is also handled in the typical "manly" bruckheimer+bay way, the typical mistreatment of women onscreen these pair is known for and now spielberg is joining the fray? lol anyways. it was just so awkward and cheesy throughout... but yes megan fox is, well, a hot fox indeed.

ILM did an excellent job and i am taking it for granted. the transformers did a better job @acting ONCE AGAIN than the live action humans! lol. shia's good, i saw him on project greenlight =P. waaay before he broke mainstream.

another step backwards for cinematography is the "look ma, no hands" approach. as i was saying, he was doing less showy stuff... until this one. hell, even fincher stop doing that after panic room with zodiac and managed to grow as an artist (both fincher+bay came from tv commercials/music videos). bay regressed into a child-like state with the scene of the hot chic screaming as one of the autobots stepped over her and the camera panned 180 then upside down, those types of shots just made me cringe and barf afterwards.

it was still entertaining... but @the expense of neurons. i have to say that i hadn't lost a LOT of it while watching michael bay features of the past, i really defended him a lot and took a lot heat from my friends for it! alas, this transformers film is the straw that broke the camel's arse or somn like that. i will no longer defend the charlatan he is.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

4. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Although Transformers were a bit past my time, my son grew up with them. I saw the movie last night and had a blast. Liked some of the "Bayisms", like the rotating camera shot when the little decepticon was attacking the group in the underground room. Straight out of Bad Boys 2.

Will see it again with the wife next week, then wait until it hits DVD.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

6. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I finally saw Transformers last night at the Regal Natomas Market 16 in Sacramento, CA in full DLP digital projection.

WOW. Sure, there are plotholes in the movie (like other people here have said), but gawd, the special effects was the most amazing I've seen in many years. [​IMG] And it helped that the movie was shown in digital projection, because it really does bring out how awesome the SFX really is.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]/[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

While Im mildy curious about this, its good to see so many fans happy with this film.

8. Terry!

Terry! Auditioning

Question: Is this movie to much for a 4-year old? He loves Star Wars and loves the Transformer toys. He has seen the old cartoons as well. I assume this would be no different than Star Wars, but if it is too violent or cussing, I dont think I would take him.

Thanks for the information.

9. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

10. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Saw this 4th of July, 9/10, great action flick, IMHO.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

12. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

13. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

14. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

15. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

18. Cory S.

Cory S. Supporting Actor

This might be Bay's best film only because the it suits his talents well. After three viewings, I can finally say that I think it's quite good but could've been one for the ages had a few things, at the script level, been changed (ie, streamlining the plot and a few human characters a bit).

As far as the action goes, I think the action in this film is one for the ages. The visual effects have pretty much destroyed the damn bar and the only film(s) I see on the horizon that could surpass these are Cameron's Avatar and the Transformers sequel (which by the way, I'm advocating for a remake of the '86 animated film split into two parts with Part II ending with the death of Prime and Megatron. And yes, I think it should include Unicron.)

Shia is a star. Megan Fox can be a star if given more to do but she did well for what she was given here.

Again, it's not Terminator 2, Die Hard, or The Rock, but it's pretty much one of the best action spectacles in a few years, by far....

19. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H

20. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    I'm happy I dont go to these forums before I see a movie because I cant believe half the posts here

If your a fan of Transformers and action, you'll love it, if not you need to look in the mirror and repeat "I'm not Siskel and Ebert", repeat until you start enjoying movies again