What's new

TRANSFORMERS arrives on Earth in spectacular DVD and HD DVD sets (1 Viewer)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Can't wait to pre-order my HD DVD EXCLUSIVE "TRANSFORMERS"!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Phil

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
But he said it sounds the same, not "inferior", so once again, how do any of your quotes make your point?

troy evans

Screenwriter
You sure can learn alot reading the posts at this forum. I've learned here recently that many of you must be highly trained and experienced sound engineers. How else do you guys know how significant a lossless track can be? In my experience the lossless tracks when played seem to be louder more than anything else. If they offered some overwhelming difference I could see the fuss. Even though I do hear a slight volumn difference, it in no way would make me not get this release just because lossless isn't present. If some here think lossless is that important, so be it. I just don't see it as the end all, be all deal breaker it's being made out to be, sorry.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

FilmMixer answered his own question.

He also agreed that "we are in the very lucky position today to finally have the possibility to get a 1:1 unaltered copy" of the original sound master "delivered to our homes" and that it is "fine for us to fight for the best every day".

1:1 unaltered technology is not being used for Transformers and it should be used, unless there is a practical reason, and if its just someone's choice, I intend to try and persuade them to change it.

Paul

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
FilmMaker explicitly said it is indistingushable from lossless. Therefore, it is audibly unaltered, and you have no basis for the change.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

OK!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Since we're talking about Paramount, ... as far as the HD DVD formats goes, ... I wouldn't be surprised that they release the "Michael Bay's Director's Cut Ultimate Collector Special Edition 'Transformers' HD DVD w/TrueHD" next year!?!?! :eek: :laugh:

I've double, ... tripled-dip a bunch of Paramount SD DVDs over the years!!! (Hunt for Red October SE w/DTS; Star Trek Movies SCE; etc.)

Phil

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Wow.

I can't believe people are still shouting about this. Crazy.

Cool...well, I'll be getting my DVD on 10/16. Can't wait. When this comes out with a lossless codec, I can't wait to see the posts...I'm sure the same people will claim it is superior, and the experts will say there is no discernible difference. And, no one will budge. :)

But, the movie experience will be the same.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

See Batman Begins and Superman Returns for arguments against it being an issue of disc space or bandwidth.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

So you are saying that peace of mind is the only reason to have a lossless track and that you really can't tell the difference?

Doug

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Brett, you can use all the smileys you want my friend but to answer your question....No I don't think I ever went into a BD thread and stirred it up. Quite the opposite actually....The search button is your friend...:star:

Certainly one doesn't have to personally experience every soundtrack nuance or own both formats to have an opinion but it wouldn't hurt to tone it down a notch. :)

And the Aggies play Fresno State this weekend. And eventhough Fresno's colors are HD DVD Red, I'll be cheering heavily against them.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:)

Does anyone know for sure if this set is indeed a 2 disc edition?

Who wants to guess which scene might be the best/most played demo? I'm going with the Desert scene. I can't remember the name of that thing but coming out of the ground was rather cool and sounded fantastic in the theater. Should give our subs a run for their life. Well, half-life since it's only DD+ :P

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Do we know that? He didn't say that he wasn't the mixer of this movie, of course he also didn't say he was. However I'll that the opinion of a professional who has mixed more than 20 feature films over an audiophile's opinion any day. His comments echo those of several friends of mine who are instructors at a recording institute.

Frankly I think audiophiles sometimes will buy any kind of snake oil. I'm not saying that this is you Paul, or anyone else on this board, but when I goto an audiophile website and I see them selling wooden knobs for your receiver because it will make the sound "richer", it really makes me wonder. Do people buy these things, put them on their equipment and insist that suddenly it sounds better???

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Isn't it just possible that the practical reason is that the lossy version is indistinguishable from the masters and there for a lossless track isn't needed?

Doug

troy evans

Screenwriter
That tranformers name was Scorpinok and you're right, that should be a kick ass scene to show off a system. I also liked the freeway scene.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
No. Peace of mind would be that you don't have to verify if a lossy track has a difference on almost any current sound track if there is a 1:1 unaltered lossless track copy of the master on board.

Paul

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
No, I used the term "practical" to mean a physical reason, not the awareness by one's senses.

Paul

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I would say that is semantics. The point being if for instance, the engineer who mixed sound track X can't tell the difference between the masters and a lossy encode, wouldn't it be reasonable that a lossless version would be a redundant waste of space? It would in that case be more "practical" to use the lossy encode.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

But if verifying it by listening to the original masters is the only way you can tell, how do you even know if your missing something? You only assume that you are.

Doug

Edit: I do hope that you know I'm playing a little bit of Devil's advocate here. All things being equal I see no reason to not put the lossless track on. I'm just not convinced that that there is the radical improvement in audio quality that some claim it to be.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'd say it's more of a psychological reason, ie the source of the "difference" is between one's ears, not at one's eardrums.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
On the other hand, with a 1:1 unaltered lossless track copy of the master on board, there would be no need for a lossy encode and a redundant waste of space. No need for the "can't tell the difference" argument.:)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I agree. I think that there is a bit of a placebo effect going on here. People are told that is should sound better, so thats what they hear. I suspect that much like what Filmmixer said, if they actually did a blind A/B test, they would find that more often than not they can't tell the difference.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks