What's new

Transfer problems with Bergman Boxset causes MGM to delay Release! (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Mixed emotions about this news. Obviously it is great to know that the studios (some of them anyway) are paying attention to us. But, dammit, I want this set now! I'm actually hoping my set still ships from Deep Discount DVD and then I will just buy the corrected ones later. Oh well, plenty of other great stuff to watch.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator

I hear you Jason, I've been waiting a LONG time for this to come out, but I'm not gonna cave in - I can wait another couple of months to make sure that it's done right. These films IMHO are masterpieces and will eventually be a revered part of my collection. In the meantime I think I will revisit some of my older Bergman's (Wild Strawberries and Cries and Whispers sounds pretty good!)and I have the upcoming Scenes from a Marriage to look forward to.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it's MGM that owns the UK rights to everything in this set except Persona. Tartan won't be releasing them, but at least the recall bodes well for the R2 editions being OK, assuming MGM decides to release them at all.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks Gary, you've made a difference. MGM should hire you as a consultant. Hopefully they'll get it right.
Randy - thank you as well. It's great for the HTF to have someone who gets to the bottom of things on its side.

debi_lee

Stunt Coordinator
Official statement just in from MGM on their Ingmar Bergman Collection:

"It has come to our attention that the transfers utilized for the release of Ingmar Bergman's Hour of the Wolf Special Edition DVD and Shame Special Edition DVD are not representative of the intended theatrical presentation. In order to provide customers with the best quality product available, we are recalling the product at retail and will be releasing both films in a 1:37:1 aspect ratio on April 20, 2004. The Ingmar Bergman DVD Collection will also be available on that date. MGM Home Entertainment always strives to provide the highest standard of product and customer care."

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

I guess this is good news for this box set, but their quote...well, let's just say, they should practice what they preach!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Now, it would be nice to see overwhelming praise matching the amount of flak studios receive here when they screw up.

Great job MGM. Thanks for rising to the occasion. Gary, Randy, you are the MEN!

--
H - being positive never killed anyone...

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Thank you MGM for doing the right thing! I can live with the delay. I wasn't going to order this set because of the OAR issue, but now I will.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Kudos to Gary and Randy for getting the issue into MGM's view. And kudos to MGM, too, for doing the right thing by these two titles: it's a shame they made the mistake in the first place, but they certainly seem to be doing right by their customers in addressing it.

I wasn't planning to buy this box set, but now I think I might.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
New from theDigitalBits.com as of 2/16/04:

MGM has informed us that the transfers of two of their new Bergman titles were formatted at the wrong aspect ratio, so the discs have been recalled. Hour of the Wolf and Shame will be re-released on 4/20 in the correct ratio. The Ingmar Bergman DVD Collection has also been pulled and will be re-released on that date as well. Here's the studio's official statement:

It has come to our attention that the transfers utilized for the release of Ingmar Bergman's Hour of the Wolf: Special Edition DVD and Shame: Special Edition DVD are not representative of the intended theatrical presentation. In order to provide customers with the best quality product available, we are recalling the product at retail and will be releasing both films in a 1:37:1 aspect ratio on April 20, 2004. The Ingmar Bergman DVD Collection will also be available on that date. MGM Home Entertainment always strives to provide the highest standard of product and customer care. For additional information or comments, please contact our customer service at 877-646-4968.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Well, mine showed up anyway. I guess I will watch them and when it comes time for MGM to reissue the defective ones I will send them back for replacements. I seem to recall that MGM is pretty good about sending a UPS label via e-mail for things like this.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw the box set at Borders this week. There's no mention of aspect ratios anywhere on it. Are we going to be able to tell the difference between the messed-up version and the corrected one?

FredCampbell

Agent
I received my box set before hearing about the problems with framing. I've followed all of MGM's instructions regarding the recall of the relevant discs, but I have yet to hear anything about how MGM will be handling the recall. Unlike some in this thread, I am not convinced that MGM will ultimately correct the situation for those of us already in possession of the discs.

Does anyone have any info. re: how MGM will ititiate the recall?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Fred. Did you buy online or from a store? Try returning it for cash/credit. Or try e-mailing the supplier you bought it from and try to return it via the mail. And arrange for the replacement to be sent to you.

DVD Pacific simply refunded me for copy plus the postage from Britain to the US, I might add and they will be sending me the replacement when it arrives in stock.

FredCampbell

Agent
Yes I did call the toll-free customer service line. I got a recorded message telling me to send an email with contact info. I did, simple as that. Now I'm wondering if MGM has announced to anyone what they plan to do next in ther ecall process.

I ordered my set from Amazon.com I'll contact them tomorrow to see if they're willing to take care of things from their end. Thanks for the tip.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
That's what to do, Fred: return the set for a refund/store credit and then re-order the rectified set - AFTER checking with those in-the-know here at HTF, of course! :)

I love Bergman. A truly great artist of our time. I love his films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks