Transfer problems with Bergman Boxset causes MGM to delay Release!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gary Tooze, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

This deserves a second post:

In the forthcoming Bergman MGM Boxset - we showed recently that they have either zoomed in or cropped away about 11.5% from their Persona DVD presentation.

Unfortunately the news is getting even worse. MGM have taken 2 other films from the Boxset - Hour of the Wolf and Shame and cropped them from their original 1.37 ratio to 1.66 making them widescreen... when they are not widescreen films. The original theatrical presentation was NOT Open-matte - these films were made at 1.37:1.

This is how the film should look (taken from French DVD):

[​IMG]

This is how MGM is presenting them to Region 1:

[​IMG]

Continuously in the film, people's heads are chopped off the top of the screen. An example from Shame is below.

[​IMG]

Last time I saw someone frame a picture like this, it was my uncle Des at the family Christmas get-together.

Both DVDBeaver and Masters of Cinema are encouraging individuals, who still can, to cancel their pre-orders.

More of this information is being documented here:
    http://www.new.dvdbeaver.com/

Regards,

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

its MGM.
    they've been screwing up great films since 1999.

a real shame as otherwise the transfer appears to be pretty nice otherwise (according to your screenshot)

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Welcome to the future!

It was only a matter of time for Academy ratio films to be cropped or matted for the wide screen TV crowd. Well, at least they didn't redo the mono soundtrack for 5.1 surround sound.

Still, it's curious that MGM releases a P&S release of a wide screen Panavision film like Summer Lovers yet mats a 1.37 film for wide screen. Go figure.

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

And the poor treatment of foreign films on DVD continues.

So far in 2004, I've cancelled my Bergman boxset and Cyrano de Bergerac orders.

Way to go MGM!! Keep it up, and I'll save a buttload of money... or just give my business to other studios.

You suck!

ADD:

Let's hope they do the right thing and license out Fanny & Alexander to Criterion.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Whatever the reason for MGM's handling of these films, it clearly wasn't done "for the widescreen TV crowd". If that were the case:
    • Persona would also have been matted for widescreen, whereas the problem Gary has identified is a zoom on the 1.33:1 image;
    • The other films would have been matted to 1.78:1 (instead they're 1.66:1); and
    • The matted films would have been enhanced for widescreen TVs (they're not).
    M.

6. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

Argh, not AGAIN!

I will call these people - what's the number?

I am seriously PISSED about this!

S

7. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

Thanks for yet another useful tip, Gary. This stinks.

8. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Michael's points make a lot of sense, so does anyone have any idea why MGM would have done this?

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The screenshot from Shame is very poor. I am now 100% convinced that it was composed in 1.37:1 and was not supposed to be matted to ANY other ratio.

I'm going to cancel my order now. I bet $50 that MGM does absolutely nothing about this error.

10. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Crazy framing of a movie image. Not good.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

11. Thomas Koeberl

Camille Claudel is another example, where MGM has partly cropped the picture. Here is a comparison between the German Arthaus transfer (16/9) and the MGM version (non anamorphic and watch the framing of the first screenshot)

http://www.mwehr.de/Koeberl/camilleclaudel/index.htm

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Damn, the German Arthaus edition of Camille Claudel doesn't have English subtitles! No! [​IMG]

This is one of the most beautiful films ever shot and I NEED a DVD edition with a transfer as good as the German Arthaus edition - but with subtitles.

Life's can be a real bitch sometimes!
    #

EDIT: Does the French edition have subs: http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/...183435-7095452

13. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

Add me to the list of those canceling their pre-orders on this (not that anyone is actually keeping such a list). I think this thread should really be kept at the top of this HTF forum. Yes, this is THAT imporant (I think). If enough people were to cancel their orders.... who knows? It probably is too late at this point.

I've never been one for online petitions or even complaining to companies through email, but in this case I think I might actually consider doing the latter. Any suggestions on where at MGM I should send a short email?

ShaunS

14. Jerry Gerber

Jerry Gerber Extra

I cancelled my order

15. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Wow, how sad. This set was on my "to buy eventually list". Not anymore....

The worst part is how many fantastic foreign films these idiots have released that harder working folks like Criterion would have loved to give a better treatment, and paid MGM to license it....

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Guess what - my order has already shipped! [​IMG]

Someone at MGM is gonna die...

17. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Stunt Coordinator

According to dvdfr.com database, the French R2 release of Camille Claudel seems to have no subtitle...

(but I don't know if this source is 100% reliable)

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

do French R2 disc ever have English subs?
    [​IMG] i don't even bother looking into French etailers anymore, as i've never found a French movie there with English subs

19. Haggai

Haggai Producer

So does anybody have any idea why MGM would have done this? As Michael Rueben pointed out up-thread, it's not with 16X9 users in mind, since the transfers aren't anamorphic. With Columbia's Annie SE, for example, the pan and scan was likely with "family viewers" in mind, or something lame like that. Utterly indefensible, of course, but that's probably what they were thinking. But this problem with the MGM Bergmans just doesn't seem to make any sense on any level.

20. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This had been on my list of titles to get, but not anymore. Thanks for saving me some money!