What's new

Trailers Ruin Movies (1 Viewer)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Best news story of the year.
On the earlier topic of this thread, if you think modern trailers are bad, try watching some Italian trailers from the '60s and '70s, many of them would give away huge chunks of the film - I watched a Spaghetti Western last week and later watched the trailer which included numerous shots from the climactic gunfight and then the very ending itself as the heros find the cache of gold, clearly showing which of the main characters are still alive.

Quincy

Stunt Coordinator
That's like my lawsuit against "The Never Ending Story." Talk about false advertisement.

Chi Chi Rodrigweez

Auditioning
Real Name
Albert
Here's another one - Horror Movie: One of the main characters (usually female) is running from the monster, gets away long enough to slip around a corner and lean against a wall to catch her breath, all is quiet just long enough for you to being thinking maybe everything is going to be alright, then suddenly the monster crashes loudly into the scene from out of nowhere to grab her.
Slightly off-topic side observation/annoyance: Trailers that showcase songs that do not appear on the movie's soundtrack. I think the frontrunners for songs most often abused in this way are: Walking On Sunshine; She Drives Me Crazy; I Feel Good; and Hit the Road, Jack.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I still like to watch trailers.
Although I just watched Linciln Lawyer recently and while watching it a swore that I had seen the movie before even though I never have.
I realized afterwards that it was the trailer that's had seen before. I thi kthat trailer had run at least a year before movie played in theaters so about two years ago now but that trailer was essentially the entire movie in three minutes and havi g seen it so many times caused me a strong sense of déjà vu while watching the movie

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My favorite television show since I was 6 years old was Siskel and Ebert 'At The Movies'. I used to enjoy watching the discussion of films, clips of the films, and 'GASP' minor spoilers! Trailers are nowhere near as thorough, but they are essential in my movie going experience. My "trailer Sense" is pretty spot on. If the trailer looks interesting, or grabs my attention chances are I'll like the movie. I don't think I've ever seen a trailer that completely spoils the movie for me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TravisR said:
The best joke in A Million Ways To Die In The West is squandered because everyone saw it in the trailer and commercials.
All the other jokes suffer a similar fate, unfortunately.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I can remember back in 1994 (I think), I was talking with a friend about a movie, and he was telling me that I should not be watching previews (was it called trailers back then?) of it on TV, because it spoiled the movie. Then I was like, "then how are you suppose to know about the movie?" This was sometime after I threw a few titles at him, and he kept saying "I never heard of it!", when trying to figure out what movie to watch at the theater. I think he even asked what those movies were about.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was watching the "Sneak Peek" extended trailer for Edge of Tomorrow after a recent episode of 24.

Frankly, I found the trailer brillant! :biggrin:

gallery_286742_34_93593.jpg

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Back before he briefly renounced the human world of flesh-and-blood live-action, Robert Zemeckis was coming under fire for insisting, and even defending, that he HAD to give away all the key spoilers in the trailers to "Cast Away" and "What Lies Beneath"--The audience, he said, expected a right to be fully informed about the movie they were seeing!
(I don't know how much about "Flight" he eventually gave away, after coming back from therapy, someone else will have to report.)

Which should emphasize the point: Only raving lunatics ruin movies with trailer spoilers. ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ejanss said:
Back before he briefly renounced the human world of flesh-and-blood live-action, Robert Zemeckis was coming under fire for insisting, and even defending, that he HAD to give away all the key spoilers in the trailers to "Cast Away" and "What Lies Beneath"--The audience, he said, expected a right to be fully informed about the movie they were seeing!
(I don't know how much about "Flight" he eventually gave away, after coming back from therapy, someone else will have to report.)

Which should emphasize the point: Only raving lunatics ruin movies with trailer spoilers. ;)
I remember that. I lost all respect for the guy when I heard that.

The Flight trailer actually wasn't too bad, spoiler-wise. Maybe he learned his lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks