What's new

Tragically Hip - Up to Here (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I was able to watch the HDNet broadcast over two nights. It is NOT a 2000 concert as indicated in the program notes, but is in fact the Toronto show from November of 2004. Its a pretty good show, and the audio is great, but its not the last word in video quality.

Help me out here...is it Gord or Gordon that is the lead singer? EDIT: Its Gordon..duhh! Which ever, that is one strange dude. Kind of reminds me of a blend between Michael Sipe of REM, and Fred, the dude from the B52's. He is a bit of a whirling dervish on stage, that's for sure.

Unless I am mistaken, he dropped the mic a couple times, and goes into this weird bit where he is apologizing to the mic in mid song! OK!

A bunch of tracks I knew, a bunch I did not. "New Orleans is Sinking" brought the house down, and they closed with "Blow at High Dough". They are a tight band, and they nailed the songs, but stretched out enough that they were not just copies of the records.

A great show if you are a fan of the band. You gotta love the crowd. Everyone is standing, dancing, singing along, and pretty much everyone has a beer in their hands. What more can you ask for?

Brian

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Glad to hear you enjoyed it Brian! They are definitely best live, Gordon really gets into his shows! It's been a long time since I last saw them, but they still sound great!

I'm not much of a fan of a lot of their later work, but after Up to Here, Road Apples, and Fully Completely, the next albums for you to get into would be Day for Night and Trouble at the Henhouse. Live Between Us, their live album, absolutely rocks.

After the Hip, you should try to listen to some other Canadian music when you get a chance...

Matthew Good
Our Lady Peace
Sloan
Big Sugar
I Mother Earth (now defunct)

There is a lot of really good Canadian music that for some reason, never made it south of the border...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks