Traditional CRT RPTV or DLP RPTV? What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rolando, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Feb 19, 2001
    Just called my usual local retailer to inquire about an RPTV model I am considering to buy and he seemed quite eager to show me the new Toshiba DLP models. he said he has the Toshiba 51hx84 but that the new DLP RPTVs will blow me away.

Have any of you seen these? any thoughts? I believe they retail for almost double no? could not really get in depth info on the web.
  2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Mar 16, 2000
    Michael Chen

A finely tuned CRT based RPTV will outperform the RPTV DLP. The key words are "finely tuned."

OOTB, the DLP unit will likely outperform the crt unit because the DLP units are simply far more consistent OOTB.

Both technologies have their strengths and weaknesses which weigh differently between people.

The CRT units are usually less expensive and we are nearing the end of their commercial life. This is probably the final year for CRT RP units for most major companies.

3. Stephen-R

Stephen-R Agent

Aug 28, 2004
    Yes I agree both systems have their differences. Personally, I like a wide-screen CRT. I believe they will last longer and they are less expensive. In my house anyways the living room is just too small for anything bigger then a 34" wide-screen. I will convert the rec room in the basement sometime in the future for a larger screen system. However, that takes a lot of money to do it correctly. (To what I would want) Since my lovely wife and I are helping our son go through college(and a daughter not far behind) putting more money into Home Theaters is not a priority. (it could be if she didn't want all her "woman stuff")

So far though having a 34" wide-screen CRT/Sony tuned with a Avia disk works great for now.

Yes it is not the best overall system out there, but, when people come over they are impressed with it.
  4. RichG

RichG Agent

Jan 3, 2000
    The salesman has a vested interest in getting you to spend more for the DLP. It puts more of your money in his pocket.
  5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

May 23, 1999
    Based on what I've seen in the stores when I was shopping for a RPTV, brighter the picture maybe on DLP, but I've seen that rainbow effect on most ot the DLP I've seen. Let me tell you, it's pretty annoying. I was first excited and ready to take the plunge into DLP, but in HD CRT was good enough for me and so much more cheaper.