What's new

Trading Spaces $100,000 (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
Still, $50,000 will buy you a pretty nice room.

If this were the real world, $50,000 would buy you a kitchen with custom designed cupboards and high-end appliances like SubZero, Gaggenau, Miehle.

Or it might buy you a living room with antiques, Biedermeyer tables, beautiful upholstery, perhaps antique Oriental rugs.

Or it might buy you custom carpentry.

On this show, they went for (admittedly expensive) storebought items and some custom carpentry (which didn't cost them anything extra since it was built by the staff).

Overall, I wasn't terribly impressed with what they did, but I'm sure there were time constraints on the staff.

Doug's room looked finished, but I could never tolerate his choices in my house. The fake "Rothko" painted on the wall? The white furniture against those walls?

Although I liked Laurie's room better, I hated those curtains, and I didn't think she used the integrity of the house, obviously a colonial with Early American touches. The fireplace mantel, beautifully done by Ty, was wrong -- it looked like Craftsman instead of Early American, and it should have been made of oak.

I agree with those who have suggested that this episode was really on commercial overload. Maybe that's the only way they could afford to do this. But if so, why don't they do it every week? Really go for product placement.

The couples obviously loved the plasma TVs, and who can blame them? They were the nicest single things purchased for each house (even if we might think there are better quality plasmas out there -- mine is a Fujitsu 50").

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I watched the show, but didn't hear how much they were spending per room. Did they ever say? :D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I watched the show, but didn't hear how much they were spending per room. Did they ever say?
Oh jeez I'm not sure.

While we're wondering....I wonder if any of the new furniture came with those little silica packets... :D

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I also would have liked to have seen what Vern could have done. Vern versus Hildi for the next 100K episode (it was 100K, wasn't it?) I never thought I'd say this, but Vern would be to Doug what Hildi would be to Laurie.

Overall I liked Doug's room(s) much better. I thought he did a nice job with the kitchen. It was much easier to see where he spent the 50K than Laurie. Ty's carpentry was very nice... Amy Wynn was underused.

Chris White

Second Unit
Amy Wynn was underused.

Amy Wynn never gets enough screen time as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure I could find other ways to use her. ;)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Personally I thought that Laurie wasted the money and Doug actually did a great job on the kitchen. I didn't really care of the living room area he created.

I would like to see this done again but with Vern and Frank instead. I would really like to see what they could come up with given that kind of budget to work with. I'm not sure why they chose Doug and Laurie to design the rooms.

I didn't mind the promos for Home Depot, etc. throughout though because they paid for the ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.

I wonder how much Doug and Laurie got paid.

Parker

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
If I had a house I would like the $50,000 to either go into the kitchen or bathroom (with a plasma TV and surround set up).

Whether you spend $500 or $50,000, a couple amateurs, a high-strung interior designer, and 48 hours will still turn out like sh!t.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I bet that Vern could build an entire house with 50k the way he always gets "good deals" on everything. ;)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'd LOVE to see what Vern could do with 50K. Frank would be interesting too. But Hildi? HELL NO. She'd probably staple gold-plated hay to the walls or something. ;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
this $100,000 show was done in my hometown, plymouth, mass. i only caught the end of it, but this was the talk of the town for a while of course, in the local newspaper and such. they did the show about a month ago. i was hoping to see paige around town (she is so hot!) but no luck. although my brother was at a gas station when laurie was filling up her SUV and thought she looked familiar, and his suspicions were confirmed when some lady freaked out and ran over to her.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks