What's new

Track the Films You Watch (2007) (1 Viewer)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Pursuit of Happyness (2006) :star: :star: 1/2

The only thing this movie had going for it was Will Smith performance and to a lesser extent his son. Both performances were heartfelt and real but everything else in this movie was immaterial. Manipulative in the extreme it tried very hard to get me to care about this character and in spite of Will Smith's wonderful acting, I couldn't give a damn about him. Like others have said, why didn't he just get a job. I've seen enough of these rags to riches sagas to know how they usually turn out.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Escape from New York

John Carpenter always seems to have a certain B movie style, and this one certainly suffers from that, and also from his inability to maintain a story in the second half of his films up to the promise of the first half. Nevertheless, this is the best film I've seen of his, and I think actually worth a rewatch.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) :star: :star:

As movies go this is a pretty bad film but for Canadian cinema it's not half bad. I know that's not saying much for the state of cinema in Canada, but there you have it. A cliched buddy cop movie that is forgotten as soon as it's over. Too bad we couldn't make better movies than this stereotypical drivel.

Sea Wolf (1941) :star: :star: :star: 1/2

Interesting adaptation of the Jack London novel about a cruel sea captain and the crew that are not much better than him. He rescues two people in the San Fransico harbour, one a writer and the other an escaped convict who happens to be a woman.
Robinson is wonderful here as the sadistic captain and Lockhart is great as the drunken doctor. The rest of the cast are adequate.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
yeah, it's my favorite too george, I got it onmy tivo and am looking forward to rewatching it.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Well as both an entrepreneuer and a salesman he had a job selling that medical equipment. Then he was going through an internship in order to GET a job, he was more proactive in any given scene of the movie than the vast majority of people in the world both with and without jobs. but I suppose he should have just settled for flipping burgers at burger king, lived in squalor, sent his son to a bad school and been content because he 'had a job.'

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Separate Tables (1958) :star: :star: :star: :star:

Well acted drama about a group of resident at a seaside resort in England. Deborah Kerr steals this picture as the timid young resident who lives under the shadow of her domineering mother. David Niven is also wonderful as a Major with a secret past. Rita Hayworth and Burt Lancaster are also great in their respective parts. I guess this movie is about loneliness and how separate each of us is from one another and the connection that each one wants to establish and hold on to before going back to his/her dreary lonely life.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Blade Runner - :star::star::star::star::star: / :star::star::star::star::star:

Continuing to revisit my all-time faves. Not much to say here, except I've probably seen this one too many times. Still, I'm looking forward to the Final Cut.

Black Snake Moan - :star::star::star:1/2 / :star::star::star::star::star:

An aging blues man (Samuel L Jackson) finds a nearly naked, beaten and mostly dead young woman (Christina Ricci) lying in the middle of the road, so he does what anyone would do. He takes her home and chains her to his radiator. Odd little movie that is definitely enjoyable. Might deserve 4 stars.

The Cell - :star::star::star::star: / :star::star::star::star::star:

I was hoping to add a horror flick to my top 20, but I don't think it's going to happen. It's easy to be blinded by the imagery of this film and think that is all it is about, but it's a great horror flick.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia

If he had been alone than fine, he can live his life how he likes. He had a young son though and his primary concern should have been putting food into that young belly and not sleeping on the floor of some squalid bathroom. You do what you have to do to make ends meet especially when you have another mouth to feed.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
The Thing About My Folks (2005) :star: :star: 1/2

A somewhat annoying movie that is made better by Peter Falk's performance. Really not too much to say about this one other than I was bored during a good portion of the movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Live Free or Die Hard :emoji_thumbsup:++

Best time I've had at the movies in ages! And far more exciting than any of the Big 3 from May. This film delivers exciting action on all cylinders and I think it's going to have a lot of the smack-talkers eating crow. The only thing missing from the rest of the DH franchise was all the foul language and, as far as I'm concerned, that's not a negative.

Also saw Pirates 3 for the second time. It plays much better the second time through. I also felt the same about the first two films, neither of which I really loved the first time but after repeat views they're now among my favorites.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Rest Stop (2006) zero stars

A psychotic killer stalks a girl at a rest stop. This ranks as one of the worst pieces of crap that I've ever seen. 'Nuff said.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Mr. Lucky (1943) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2

Very well acted Cary Grant movie. Loraine Day was also wonderful in this. This is not a movie I'm familiar with so I'm glad to have caught it on TCM when it was playing recently.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

While I still prefer SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) and WAY OUT WEST (1937), I agree that BLOCKHEADS (1938) is one of the duo's very best and the last time I watched it - via the R2 disc - I even gave it the full :star::star::star::star: rating for the first time.

P.S. I look forward to reading your thoughts on ATTACK OF THE 50-FOOT WOMAN (1958) which, so far, I've only experienced via the various snippets of it in Curtis Harrington's RUBY (1977). By the way, I'm not sure if you're already aware of it or not, but I'm currently having a ball going through Universal's THE CLASSIC SCI-FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION 3-Discer:emoji_thumbsup:! Hurrah for Amazon, up yours Best Buy:)!!

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Walk Don't Run (1966) :star: :star:

Forgettable Cary Grant movie about a British businessman looking for a room during the '64 Olympics. He ends up sharing an apartment with a young English girl and soon the duo gets an extra room-mate in the person of Jim Hutton. Cary Grant is his charming self as usual but I found this movie extremely tedious. Too bad it was Cary Grant's last picture. He deserved to go out on something better.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Leave Her to Heaven - :star::star::star: / :star::star::star::star::star:

Revisited this enjoyable 50s melodrama, which has Gene Tierney as a b**** from hell, narcissistic psychopath. At least, she works her way that direction. They sure liked their pancake in those old melodramas.

Leaving Las Vegas - :star::star::star::star::star: / :star::star::star::star::star:

Continued revisiting some of my all-time faves. Not much to say, except this is one monumentally joyous fell-good movie. People either seem to get it or seriously not get it.

The Family Stone - :star::star::star::star:1/2 / :star::star::star::star::star:

You read that right. I'm giving The Family Stone 4.5 stars. Last night I was thinking 5, but that may have been the vodka talking. This "Home for the Holidays" romantic comedy was pretty much disregarded, but I find it to be a surprisingly good movie. It does occasionally walk right up to the line of melodrama, lean forward and take a good look, but manages not to fall over. Good writing, with a lot more depth than you would expect, and a solid cast carry it through.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
John, try Four Last Songs. Watched it last night and greatly enjoyed it. That and it's always nice to see Jena Malone. Yummy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks