What's new

TR Floor standing speakers (1 Viewer)

Isuru P

Auditioning
Hi everyone
This being my first post in this board please excuse me if i'm posting in the wrong section or any other mistake im making.:D

I read some posts arround this board about the theatre research speakers and found out they arent that good of a speaker and many claimed that it was a scam. i had bought 4 TR-0212 speakers for $1000 from a store and not a white van as many have said. After reading all those posts i dont know if i should still keep em. I can still return them. If i were to return them what should i replace them with. I'm running a 7.1 channel system with a Yamaha RXV-1500B reciever and i was using the 4 TR speakers as my surround Left,right, rear lefts and rear rights and i have bose am6 speakers for the fronts. The room is about 20ft x 14ft. I tried the energy XL-250 and the yamaha NS8HX floorstanding speakers but they both started to ratle. i guess i have a $1000 budget for 4 surround speakers. What would u guys recomend?

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
If you can return them DO IT before the store diasppears or they fail to recognize you. Once done that you can find very good speakers in that price range. Paradigm, Infinity, Polk etc are good brands to look at. What model depends on your room, tower vs bookshelf etc.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard TR speakers in a store, and my impression was they were really bright. I also have read that they're also sold by the White Vans. For that price range, there are plenty of speakers manufacturers out there that produce better speakers: Polk, Energy, PSB, Axiom, etc. Folks here seem to like Rocket and Ascend.
I wonder why the Energy XL speakers you tried rattle, perhap not enough power to drive them? Energy speakers are considered pretty good.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
You purchased Theater Research speakers in a store?? Are you sure that they are not Acoustic Research? TR speakers are very obviously poorly crafted and i would return them asap. However.. if you listened to them before buying and were happy with the sound, i would still return them and buy the speakers on Ebay for a fraction of what you paid in whatever store it was you purchased them from.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
Jimi, I saw TR speakers in a very large audio/video store in Orange County, California two years ago. I can't recall the store's name.

Isuru P

Auditioning
yea im pretty sure these are TR speakers cuz it has a TR logo on it and the box it came in also had Theatre Research printed on it. And I gotta say that these speakers did sound better than my bose am6's, but then again they are fairly old. And the store i got these from seemd pretty respectable but it wasnt a giant store or anything, it was a family run store. But any ways if i can get these replaced im looking for some floorstanding speakers 8 0hms for a room about 20ft by 14ft and im going to use these as my surround's. if any one can direct me to a certain model instead of just the brand of speakers that would really help. thanks and i appreciate the input so far :)

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Or these Acoustic Research S40s. Looks like you can get them for $180 shipped for a pair from this site. That's pretty cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks