TPM to be the best selling DVD ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by richard plumb, Oct 8, 2001.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

Why not?
    People who liked the movie will buy it.
    People who like star wars may buy it in the hope that it helps the others come out.
    People who are into their HT audio will buy it as a reference disc.
    People who are into spotting EE will buy it to critically analyse in great depth.

2. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Yes.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Ultimately, over time, possibly. Immediately, I don't think so. Realize I am a life long fan of all the movies, waited in line 8 hours to be the first in town to see TPM, and will be a multiple buyer of this disc (for family, also). Also realize that I'm a retailer and have been spouting off about this disc for months. I think it will be a strong contender, but I don't think it has the same sort of buzz as Gladiator did. George really did hurt "immediate" sales by waiting so long. However, there are TONS of SW freaks out there (ahem!)
    I could be wrong and many people could be hiding their intentions ( I hope so). And I DID order enough to supply a small army.... Here's hoping I'm wrong : )
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I think it will take the record, yes defineately. But only until the next huge release (Fellowship of the Ring or Harry Potter if they don't suck?) comes along. Perhaps even Snow White later in the year, though I doubt it.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Preorders
    My Wishlist

5. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

7. David Stucky

David Stucky Auditioning

You know I love fantisy, traditional and digital animation, comedy, re-makes of old hit songs, home theaters, DVDs, and I even liked Shrek.
    I just dont see myself ever buying Shrek not until I at least have kids. For me this movie was one of those movies that you watch maybe once or twice at best. After that it will just bore you to death, if not kill you.
    The only reason I can personally see buying Sherk is for kids. I think it will sell well, but I am not so sure it will be the hit that everyone seems to think it will be.
    Maybe I am just a odd ball.

8. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

TPM has no chance of being the best selling DVD of all time, and here are the reasons. (This is from a Star Wars fan...)
    1. From everything I heard, the run on this disc was somewhat limited (No where near four or five million copies). Why? I don't know, but at least Fox and Lucasfilm wont be sitting on inventory like most studios.
    2. There are two many big guns this fall. As almost eveyone pointed out, Shrek is coming in November, and barring a meltdown in popularity, it should come out as the #1 DVD of all time... Until next Xmas, when another summer hit has momentum.
    3. Many people are tired of the wait and no longer care.
    Daniel L

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

David,
    Those of us on the HTF LA meet the other week were invited to Dreamworks where we saw samples of the Shrek DVD. As I said in another thread I think very few of us left the screening room with doubts in our minds that it would be fall/winters hottest seller. The disc (with a retail of $20 for crying out loud!) is an absolute hoot for all ages, that seems the studio's aim with this title, it has something for everyone. I think upcoming reviews may sway the opinions of many who feel as you do about Shrek on DVD.
    "CAKE, eeeeeeverybody loves cake!
    Dan (UK)

10. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Dan, isn't that $20 price the MAP???? I'm pretty sure it's been a common misconception that $19.95 is Shrek's retail.
    -Tom

11. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Tom, that's not the impression the Dreamworks reps gave us the other week. It drew gasps of surprise from us all.
    Dan (UK)

12. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Unless Dreamworks is going to announce a price drop in the next couple of weeks, the MSRP for Shrek will be just shy of $27. That's the price listed on DVD Price Search, Image Entertainment, buy.com, DVD Empire, DVD Planet, Amazon, North American DVD, DVD Grand, CD Universe, and many others, I'm sure.
    Still, the Shrek press release says "The VHS will be ownably priced at $15.95 and the DVD will be available for $19.95." If that's the MSRP Dreamworks is aiming for, they might want to let every e-tailer in existence know of the change... [​IMG] Then again, maybe that 'available for...' is referring to MAP too...
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site
    [Edited last by Adam Tyner on October 08, 2001 at 04:02 PM]

13. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Well, I think that any casual fans might have picked up TPM on VHS already...but the DVD will sell well to those that waited for it. I do think there is a big chance Shrek will out-sell it...at least initially.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Ian C on October 08, 2001 at 04:08 PM]

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Based on the number of posts for people who want it before street date, I would say yes, it will be.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie
    [Edited last by Neil Joseph on October 09, 2001 at 09:11 AM]

15. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

I would have said TPM would have been the one this year. However, I have seen zero advertising for TPM DVD and it's only one week away from release. I have seen plenty of Mummy Returns DVD and Shrek DVD advertising already. I would likely agree that the runaway Shrek DVD will likely be the big winner for the year, IMO.
    Best selling DVD ever will likely remain "The Matrix" for a little while longer.
    ------------------
    DarrenA
    The Academy Home Theater

16. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Snow White

17. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Monsters Inc. will be the next to hold the crown. Watch and see...
    ------------------
    PJ