What's new

Touchstone titles wish list. (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Blu-Ray titles from Touchstone I want:
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion.-Yikes. Non anamorphic bare bones s-dvd from 1999. Time for an upgrade.

The Color of Money. One of Newman's better roles. Great movie. I'd love to see a Blu release.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I was going to chime in with "The Rocketeer," but then I realized it was a Walt Disney Pictures release, not Touchstone. COMPLETELY different entities, those two. ;)

Seriously though, why single out Touchstone?

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure if all are Touchstone or Hollywood but here goes:

DICK TRACY
ARMAGEDDON
MR HOLLAND'S OPUS
WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT
TOMBSTONE

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I was checking out my older S-dvd's and two titles I want most on Blu-Ray are from Touchstone. I'd also like to add Ed Wood.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Who Framed Roger Rabbit came to my mind immediately. The SE's image quality was a bit jarring, you could see that there was animation coming/happening in a shot due to a loss of quality. That shouldn't happen if VistaVision was used for those scenes. I hope that can be improved upon.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see Tombstone - however, I would have to think it needs a brand new master as the SE DVD is a mess to put it nicely.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
And I would agree. I put my Vista Series DVD in the other night to check out the dts track on my new receiver. Oy. Vey. I didn't realise the EE and digital grain was that bad! It looks as bad as the first flipper release of Blade Runner.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I watched Ruthless People last night and was appalled at how cheaply the disc was authored. The transfer is nothing to write home about (the film was probably a low-budget production to begin with). There are no extras, and the pictures on the menu screens were literally taken from the old VHS transfer of the movie. This movie needs and deserves a BD.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And that was the other point of this thread. Most Touchstone s-dvd's are far from acceptable for any home theater enthusiast.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

This has aired on HDNet Movies yet is non-anamorphic on DVD. Go figure. Consider that this is the same imprint that used The Sphinx as its logo yet it was called "Hollywood" Pictures. The Columbia lady is modeled after the statue on top of the Capitol building in Washington, DC, Paramount uses a mountain for its logo, and Universal uses an outer-space global motif. Logic is not one of their stronger suits.

I'm surprised Who Framed Roger Rabbit didn't receive any notice considering its 20th anniversary was last year, and "Enchanted" was released around that time.

I second Ed Wood, Mr. Holland's Opus (also Hollywood Pictures IIRC), and add Noises Off...

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Now, are the problems limited to only Touchstone releases, or do they comprehend everything Disney released with that gaudy purple "Widescreen" banner at the top of the cover art?

See for example (the first is Hollywood Pictures, the second Miramax, the third Touchstone):

40000213.jpg
40106174.jpg
40000204.jpg

Does Touchstone even control their own catalog releases? If (as I suspect) Disney handles all catalog releases, and if the problems are endemic to virtually all catalog titles released by the Disney family of companies during a certain period (1998-2005?), why don't we broaden our scope a bit?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i'm going to chime in here since i realize how much our opinions are regarded in influencing future releases
...love to see ARMAGEDON and ROCKETEER...of course there ARE others....but those are on top for now. Many of those already listed would most certainly be on my list as well. Really would like the see Bette's "stuff" done with a bit more care.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I want Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, Outrageous Fortune, Dick Tracy, Ed Wood, and did everyone forget about... ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Romy & Michele is a pretty crummy dvd, even for the early days. I would like to see a BR edition with the deleted scenes of Will Ferrell's character. Some behind-the-scenes footage would be nice, a little commentary by David Mirkin and Lisa Kudrow perhaps? I can dream. This was not the most significant film of all time, but it's pretty much the one "chick flick" comedy that guys actually enjoy.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Alright. Disney titles I have to have on Blu-Ray:
-Tron
-Never Cry Wolf
-The straight Story
-Every Studio Ghibli film

And from Miramax:

-Jackie Brown

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Touchstone:
THE WATERBOY
ARMAGEDDON
Walt Disney:
THE ROCKETEER
Dimension:
SCREAM
HALLOWEEN: H20
MIMIC
THE PROPHECY
THE FACULTY
PHANTOMS

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Touchstone doesn't function independent. It's all Buena Vista Home Entertainment. Hollywood pictures is kaput...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks