What's new

Touch of Evil Limited Edition (Blu-ray Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Torsten,I am confused by your post.Touch of Evil is a black and white movie. I'm not aware of any significant color timing for such a title, unless you're referring to greyscale and black levels. I also note that we saw plenty of detail and appropriate grain in the new Universal blu-ray. We were looking for problems and we did not find them.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I hear you, Moe. I figure that would deal with the greyscale and the black levels - but still, I'm quite confused by his post.
I see no indication looking at this Blu-ray that it was made on substandard equipment, nor do I see any indication that they somehow cheaped out by only doing a new scan of the Restoration cut. Everything I've seen and understand about this release shows that this was not in fact the case.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
This looks great on Blu-ray, even with the noted caveats (even Welles mentions, in his 58 page memo, some of the lens issues), so I am happy with this package.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There are exactly two people I've read who do this "color timing" thing when talking about black-and-white - Mr. Kaiser and Dr. Svet over on that other site - I find it, IMO, extremely silly - it's a pretty accepted standard that when talking about color timing you're talking about COLOR films, not black-and-white.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Torsten Kaiser said:
Taken a look again, this time with a bit more time at hand (recommendation: one should always do that :rolleyes:). I stand corrected. Thanx for your input and my apologies.

The scan and the master is, indeed, a different one. However - and this was that initially (mis)lead me to my in this case incorrect earlier statement - the quality is barely comparable in most shots to the High Definition masters made predominantly in 2010 with merely some shots "benefiting" from the color re-timing.

In essence, the new master of the "reconstruction version" seems 4K by number and letter of the alphabet, and I highly doubt the scanner was one of the "ranking" ones. All indications at least of the grabs - provided these are, indeed, also representative of what's on disc - point to low grade models. Granted, the 35mm materials situation is not ideal with ToE but this particular result reminds me very much of recent titles issued under "4K" such as ROCKY, ROBOCOP*, or FARGO*. All (4K downconverts) compare about on equal level to Spirit HD native transfers as far as fine detail and texture are concerned. This is very much the same here, partly (due to the [in the cases incorrect] choices of color re-timing) the shots are even a bit more problematic. Only a couple are actually better in registration, albeit very, very slightly. With all titles mentioned the result with a "ranking" scanner such as NORTHLIGHT or IMAGICA would have been at least noticably better, if not profoundly*. Even with not quite as precise scanners such as ARRI, SCANITY or 4K SPIRIT the outcome, always provided proper scanning and color re-timing, would have preserved the fine detail not present in these "4K" scans.
I'm sorry, but are you actually making a post like this without having seen the disc? There are too many variables to make this kind of post. You have no idea what kind of scanner was used - I know you have expertise in this field and therefore I feel you should be honor bound NOT to make a post full of suppositions based on screen caps. When you've seen it, then you can say whatever you like and everyone can feel free to completely agree or disagree with you - many have already completely disagreed with you right here in this thread. But fair is fair :)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
To Bruce (hainshisway):
While I find it a bit strange to call it color timing for a black & white film, that does seem to be common now. I work on motion pictures and I often hear post houses use this term for black and white films.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Two questions:

1. Roughly 10-20% of the film has fine white lines running vertically through the image. What are these?

2. In one of the commentaries, the commenter says this 1958 film eerily presaged both the Kennedy assassination and Nixon's Watergate because the film has "a political assassination" and shows corrupt government officials done in by secret taping.

Question:
How is the killing at the beginning "a political assassination"?

I inferred that Sanchez set the bomb so that his girlfriend--the victim's daughter--would inherit his money. In other words, Sanchez killed for money; it was not a political assassination.

P. S. Sorry: How does one actually hide one's spoilers in these forums? ETA: Thanks, TravisR. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks