What's new

Touch of Evil (50th Anniversary Edition) 10-07-08 (See Post# 14) (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I haven't heard anything, but this is an old release from Universal and certainly fits the bill for one of their "Legacy Series" titles.

If it wasn't Universal that owned this, I'd say wait because an upgraded version is a guarantee, but unforunately it is Universal.:frowning:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Maybe we'll finally see a Special Edition of this long overdue classic... and *gasp*, maybe even Double Indemnity while they're at it!

Probably not.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I gave my old copy to my uncle. I guess I better pick this up, I saw it at Borders yesterday for $9

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
If they do a new SE I hope that it can include the hour long documentary that was done about Touch of Evil. Saw it on cable and thought it was most informative, but didnt bother to tape it since it appeared to be something prepared for the DVD. DVD came out with nothing but Welle's memo sadly.

According to imdb:
The restored DVD was to have included a commentary as well as a documentary on the film and restoration titled Restoring Evil. Both of their inclusions on the DVD were stopped by Orson Welles's daughter, Beatrice Welles.

I had heard that it was a falling out of the doc's producer and Universal.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes this title, only with Double Indemnity and All Quiet on the western Front, are worthy of the "LEgacy Series" honour. The next wave i hope will hit at in and around September.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
What this film needs is a deluxe two- (or three-) disc-er that includes not only the "Director's Cut", but also the original theatrical version, which many fans, including this one, prefer.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

The first (cream border) and second (Film Noir line) VHS tapes from Universal were of the 1975 re-cut which added 12 minutes to the film. I don't think the 1958 version has ever been on video. I'd imagine it hasn't been in theatrical circulation since 1975, either.

To be honest, if the restored version of the film is a great film, I don't know how the previous versions would be superior in any way.

I'm guessing the argument over aspect ratio (Academy vs. 1.85:1) is bunk after reading Jack Theakston's post on This Island Earth. It definately looks like a 1.85:1 film, regardless of the cramped logo.

Criterion REALLY needs this film, though. Remaster the film in a new HD transfer, include the restored version, the 1958 theatrical cut, and the 1975 partial restoration. Add back the commentary, making-of documentary, a Peter Bogdanovich intro, the original and restoration trailers, and the memo in PDF form. One can never have too much Welles.

By the way, Amazon.com has this for $9.99.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I like the Mancini theme over the opening credits, thank you very much, and other stuff that was changed in the new cut as well.

I'm saying that BOTH should be available, and fans can decide which one they like better. Having the rejigged "Director's Cut", which is nothing of the sort since Welles had no supervision over it, memo or no, being the only version currently available, when the previous version was how most of us came to know and love it, isn't a good thing.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
DeepDiscountDVD has copies available, for $9.98. They're selling a bunch of Universal titles at that price -- buy 2 get 1 free.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

I miss Mancini's music in the opening as well. I thought the opening shot COMBINED with the music made it one of the coolest openings of any movie ever.

I can take or leave Mancini's music depending on the film. His score for TOUCH OF EVIL is some of Mancini's finest work and absolutely enhanced the brilliant opening to this film and sets you up for what is to come.
A two disc SE MUST feature both versions of this fine film that is one of the jewels in Universals back catalog.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times has news on a new Touch of Evil 50th AE (R1) in October:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Touch of Evil (50th Anniversary Edition) on 7th October 2008 priced at $26.98 SRP. Orson Welles’ film noir portrait of corruption and morally-compromised obsessions returns to DVD as a two-disc set including the restored version, the theatrical version and a preview version of the main feature complete with extras. Also included as part of the package is a replication of Orson Welles' legendary 58-page memo to the studio.

Disc 1: Restored Version
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
Bringing Evil to Life
Evil Lost & Found
Audio Commentary featuring Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh and Restoration Producer Rick Schmidlin
Audio Commentary featuring Restoration Producer Rick Schmidlin
Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2: Theatrical & Preview Versions
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
Theatrical Version: Audio Commentary featuring Writer / Filmmaker F.X. Feeny
Preview Version: Audio Commentary featuring Welles Historians Joanthan Rosenbaum and James Naremore

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Phenomonal news!!

It seems like Universal is finally doing something with their classic catalog outisde of the monster films. Hopefully, this means that they'll uncork more of their noir catalog.

I can't remember if I've ever seen the Theatrical version of this film...and I'm highly interested in reading the Welle's memo.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

At last - both versions! Isn't this what Universal originally intended for the first release? There are aspects about the original theatrical version which I prefer to the restored version - such as Mancini's opening music, as others have said.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow very impressive indeed.

Good to see that Charlton Heston & Janet Leigh contribute to one commentary.

To get 4 audio coms is very impressive indeed

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I'd like to have this on BLU, but this will do for now. I wouldn't pass up owning this for the world.

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I was about to pick the old disc up the other night, but relented. If there's no Blu-Ray announced, I'll go ahead and get this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks