What's new

"Total HD" from Warners (re: Blu-ray/HD-DVD hybrid disc) (1 Viewer)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

You are forgetting the support from the vast majority of major consumer electronics manufacturers that Blu-ray enjoys - something Divx did not have. Circuit City's invention, a pay per viewing time/window scheme which was tacked on to the existing format of DVD, isn't comparable in any sense.

As for studio support, in case you haven't read the news about CES, the silence of Universal, the lone hold out (HD DVD) studio, was deafening.

Jeff

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

They should color the plastic (the 'text ring' and all the way to the center hole) red on the HD DVD side and blue on the BD side. That would make it easy.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Without exclusive studios using this disc, it is totally worthless. It will actually hurt HD-DVD-only people who at least would get an SD disc with combo pricing. Now they'll get a useless BD side for the same money (or whatever the price these things will be).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It's very true that the Divx format was silly from the get go and the public was smart enough to see it. I actually wasn't trying to compare Blue Ray to Divx.

And in actuality in the first year of DVD Toshiba was pretty much the only company making players. Sony may have had one player out in that first year if memory serves me.

I'm not sure that Universal's lack of title announcements is as significant as some are making it out to be. They have actually announced titles for this year, just not at CES. The titles from Universal for 2007 so far are....

Battlestar Gallactica, The Good Shepard, Children of Men, Scarface, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Inside Man, The Bourne Identity, Pride & Prejudice, American Pie, Bruce Almighty, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Dawn Of The Dead.

Not a bad first quarter from them.

Doug

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
The problem that THD will not address is that Disney - at least publicly at this point - will NOT release titles to this format. That still requires me to add; at the very least, either a BD player or a combo player.

As I already own the HDA1, I see no solution here for me at all.

The only real thing I see now coming from CES, as an HD DVD adopter is a hardening of positions in a war where LG and Warner are attempting, with little success I am afraid - to act as peace keepers and negotiators in order to promote and prtect their revenue streams.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
I just did some searching. In March of 1997 (launch) Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony released players in the U.S. Sony's second player came out in August. I waited until Panasonic's 2nd generation (A110) to get a player that passed DTS.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Interesting. I remember going into a best buy that spring and only being able to find a Toshiba. I wonder what the actual numbers of players in stores was.

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
My only real complaint, besides the risk of fingerprints etc with a dual-side disc, is that Warner might be reluctant to use the full 50GB of space on the BD side in order to keep content equal with the 30GB HD DVD side to avoid frustration with consumers who might read about BD bonus features but not be able to play them in their HD DVD player.

I really want LOTR to make awesome use of the 50GB. I want 24/48 lossless audio... not 16/48 or dolby plus. New Line better not compromise the potential quality of their release to keep content under 30GB!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I would be will to bet this will be released as a split set much like the original SD extended edition was. Either way, this is the first hinted release that really gets me excited.:)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

I like this...look at it this way we're going to get Lord of the Freakin' Rings because of this much sooner now! I'm all over it and hope other studios do this. :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I don't like the way that looks. A little too "carnival" in my opinion.

My preference would be for a more subtle silver border, with only the strip across the top being half red and half blue (and the shade of blue should deeper like the color of the fox cases, not powder/sky blue).

I like this color blue

better than this color blue

The deeper blue looks much nicer to me. But that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, ultimately packing isn't what I'm buying. And obsessive folks can always use different boxes with nicer custom cover art if they really need it.

Thinking ahead a couple of years. While I prefer discs with art and only one side for the movie (for asthetics and durability), once people start using media servers these will only be our "hard copies" that are tucked away somewhere anyway. When we go to watch the movie, it'll just be accessed from the media server.

Several years off, I know (less for some, more for others), but that thought makes me less concerned about the "form factor" of these discs when considering the long-term archival nature of collecting films in high definition.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well most of us will have only one side in view anyway in our movie cases etc....I'll be displaying the Maroon side. ;)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I want a hi-def player that can join my 400-disc Sony SD DVD changers. Disc aesthetics and handling problems are really a non-issue when you neither see nor handle the disc after the first time you load it in the changer. :)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks