What's new

Toshiba Sony wega or panasonic ? (1 Viewer)

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
which should i get ? im getting a 27" flat screen TV.
id like to know what you all think and reasons why you think that !! thanks.
it has to be at best buy to.

im thinking either sony wega w/ twin tuner or the other brands.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony has the best features, but I have a KV32FV26 and a Tau 27" and the Tau has better color and picture quality, IMO - both calibrated with VE. The Tau is less expensive also.

Aaron$Co

Auditioning
I am in the market for the exact same TV range. I have been looking at the 27" Toshibas and Sonys for the most part. I have heard varying suggestions on which has the better picture. Right now I am leaning towards Sony primarily because of the 16:9 squeeze that the Toshiba doesn't have. TOshiba has a new model 27AF42 out, that follows the 27AF41, but there web site doesn't show the specs yet, and I am not sure of the differences. I also am not sure of the major differences between the Sony FS and FV series, and their upgrade from the FV27 to the FV300. I would like some opinions for not only myself, but for the thread poster as well.
Thanks

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Both the Sony and the Panny are great looking TVs -- I personally prefer the Panasonic's picture -- but a word of warning: Panasonic had big problems with last year's 27" TAU... won't turn off when it's on, won't turn on when it's off. Panasonic is a good enough company that they will certainly have this fixed in the current year's run of TVs, but avoid last year's model if possible. Hope this helps!

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jack
yeah im more looking @ the sonys now im gonna try to calibrate it myself to hopefully i can do it lol i got the avia dvd i think its on there.
im mainly looking @ the 16:9 squeeze to but cant see it working at best buy :frowning:
Im even thinking about getting the sony 27" wega w/ pip. but not sure heh dunno if thats worth the extra $100 or whatever it costs. might just not get it and buy a couple dvds or something to.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Quick note about Sony FS vs. FV Wegas: the FV models have auto-squeeze while the FS models do not. So with the FV, you just set the squeeze to "auto" and it automatically detects anamorphic images and squeezes them. With the FS you have to turn it on and off every time.

I am extremely pleased with my Sony KV-32FV27, but many people have experienced a variety of problems with Wegas, from color-banding to severe discoloration. If you get one just make sure you have a good return policy.

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
ok.. dunno which ones at best buy will have to look.

anybody else have some suggestions ? im probably gonna go with the Sony Wega.

Aaron$Co

Auditioning
Which did you go with? I am in the exact same market, the Toshi 27AF42, or the Sony KV 27FS13, or the Pansonic CT 27SX12. The only feature that seperates the tvs is the sony with its 16:9, cost is pretty much the same, so the only other factor is picture quality. Its so hard to tell at video stores with there split connections. Anyone have any more advice?

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
i went with the Sony cause i watch alot of dvds and the 16:9 squeese i liked alot. and the pic quality is great tuned with avia.

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
Yohan-
Do you know if the smaller Sony FV (24"/20") have auto 16X9 squeeze also? And does the smaller FS series have the squeeze at all?

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like this has become a hot topic again. I just purchased the Panasonic CTXSX12 yesterday to replace a dead 15yr old 25" Sony XBR. Purchase was based more from a size constraint rather than video performance (the Panasonic fits my girlfriends entertainment center, the Sony KV27FS12 did not, nor the new KV27FV300)... otherwise I would have to step down in size to 24". I've always been a Sony fan, but I have to say that the Panasonic picture ain't too shabby. I believe the new KV27FV300 also incorporates BBE sound enhancement (Panasonic already has this). Best Buy price was better ($474), but I bought it at Circuit City ($485 w/delivery).

Given all the postings on geometry issues with flat tubes, I was beginning to see gremlins everywhere... I think I was just being more critical with the new set. Looked great on DVD (cable performance showed green and magenta ghosting at the very edge of flesh tones... I believe it's cable provider induced).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks