What's new

Toshiba releases HD DVD firmware update v3.0 (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this will fix the playback issues on the German Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer disc on 1st gen players; I wrote to them a few months ago asking for a firmware fix and they said they'd consider it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Very cool of them, especially there's no future benefit to this other than keeping some brand loyalty.

James St

Supporting Actor

The A1, D1 and XA1 are first gen players while your XE1 I believe is the European equivalent of the XA2 which is a second gen player. I hope we see updates for second and third gen players at some point.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, Euro XE1 is equivalent of the US XA2.

But "HD-XA1" is already discontinued player. There has to be some mistake (=it actually means "XA2")?

Why would they release a new firmware to discontinued players?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There's still some glitches out there that need to be hunted down and killed - I think Weinstein Brothers discs are still somewhat finicky, for instance.

It also doesn't hurt Toshiba for people's last impression of HD DVD to be good customer service. This sort of thing is part of why I'm hoping they come out with a Blu-ray/combo player by the end of the year.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

From Toshiba? That won´t happen. They don´t make HD DVD-players anymore. I can fully understand that.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I don't know. I still figure that if you can get HD DVD compatibility without adding extra hardware to a BD player, Toshiba's got no reason not to include it when/if they start making those. But we'll have to see how long they stay out of that.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Surprised to receive the Toshiba Update Disc Firmware Version 3.0 in the Mail today.:eek:

Lost track:confused: - Just checked and my last update for my A-1 was Firmware Version 2.4 and I remember having to download that from the Toshiba website where I burned it on a CD on November 16, 2007.

Didn't think there'd be any more updates after HD DVD's demise and for Toshiba to send it to me is really cool:cool:.

Guess I'll update the HD-A1 for the last time.:frowning:

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks