What's new

Toshiba laptop Blu ray Question (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I just recently bought a Toshiba laptop that plays blu rays. I've watched special features from Ten Commandments and POTC blu ray movies. I tried to watch the special features on my Fiddler on the Roof Blu ray and can't seem to access them. The player just starts playing the movie. I can't even access the menu. The software I'm using is Corel Windvd that came with the computer. Do you think the problem is with the blu ray disc or the software?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Well, silly me realized that I should have been using my arrow keys instead of my mouse. But when I play the special features it only shows half the picture! I did download the latest Java update though.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Just this one so far. I have played special features on The Ten Commandments and POTC with no problems. The movie plays fine but when I was trying to watch the John Williams feature it looks like the whole picture has shifted over to the right and could only see half of J.W.'s head. I guess if I call Toshiba they might be able to help.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Let me guess.. the extra is in 4:3... there is an issue with some 4:3 MPEG encoded content and how PC players see it.. it's because they expect them to have the correct header per BD2.0 spec, and unfortunately not all vendors are actually doing that. Tell me, do you notice a kind of "lines" to it? where it seems to look "bad" of what you can see? If yes, then it's an INTERLACED MPEG as attached to a BD.. well, I can confirm the extras are SD, and likely MPEG of VC1, I would have to check the header on the M2TS to see if they added the correct sign to them. (H264, even of SD content, will not generate this error). I think I have Fiddler at the office, I can find out. There -IS- a solution to this, as it is a problem that impacted not just players like yours but it would impact people with PS3s and some older firmware as well as a lot of cheaper BD players.. Let me check. If the header is wrong, I will PM you the solution.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Matt, yes the extras on the Fiddler on the Roof are 4:3. The picture looks fine, it just looks like the picture isn't centered right and the part of the player on the far right side covers up some of the picture ie: half of John Williams face. I checked the features on At World's End and noticed that English subtitles are displayed even after I specifically hit the "none" option. The movie itself plays fine. I going to see if I can get some answers from the Corel software community forum. I tried to download any patches/updates but I have to register the player and can't seem to locate the serial number for it, the directions from the website are not very helpful.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Most likely you have an OEM pre-install edition. You might need to point that out to corel. I will say that as a product, it's not a very popular one (Arcsoft TMT3/5 and PowerDVD dominate the market) so I don't have a lot of great advice...

bridesmaid

Auditioning
Real Name
bridesmaid
But if you are after elegance, then you can also opt for a slightly expensive Black Swarovski
Crystal Rings which are crafted with glittering and gorgeous Black and Clear Swarovski crystals. Last Week My Father Sent Swarovski Crystal Earrings for My Mother

halter evening dresses

silver earrings

steven1988

Auditioning
Real Name
steven
i know my toshibia plays dvd's, but perhaps if i download some blu-ray software, would it be compatable with my disk drive??

Stan

Senior HTF Member
steven1988 said:
i know my toshibia plays dvd's, but perhaps if i download some blu-ray software, would it be compatable with my disk drive??
Blu-ray is a completely different type of hardware. Number one is they use a blue laser (although I've read it's actually closer to violet), hence the name, rather than a red laser used by DVD players. It's a completely different wavelength of light (remember ROYGBIV from your old high school physics class)?
Blu-ray players are considered backwards compatible, so they can play DVDs. But you can't go the other direction, a DVD player can't read a Blu-ray disc, regardless of your software. It's a physical, hardware issue with how Blu-ray discs and players were designed. Don't know the exact numbers, but a Blu-ray disc also holds much more data than a DVD.
If I'm spouting complete BS, anyone else feel free to chime in. I'm basing this on info I recall from several years ago, so might not be as accurate today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks