What's new

Toshiba HD-A2 is Fantastic!!!! (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Machine blows away the A1. I have read other reviewers comments... This unit is 200 percent better than the A1. Faster Load, 30 seconds, about the same as my Sony Blu Ray. 10 to 15 seconds on disc load... Once disc is playimg, menus work much faster, and smoother... Ect.... FF and RW you get the increment icons....

Fantastic job Toshiba, and great price point!!

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Wow, 200% better huh? LOL! I have an A1. It is indeed slow to load, but that's when I get a drink at the begnning of the movie.

200% better should include functionality (I.e. 1080p, which the A2 does not have). The picture and audio quality are the same, it is only 110% better.

XD!

ELMO

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

Without analog outs it's actually a step backwards as far as functionality. Glad to hear about the faster load times though. I'd like to know how fan noise compares w/ the A1.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
elMalloc,

Do actually own this new unit?? Just curious?????

The A2 is as least twice as fast as the A1... To me that is worth it's weight in gold. I also find the (remote) IR to be much more responsive.... For the price of 449 and a few free dvd's that Robert from ValueElectronics is selling, it's a no brainer..... It a good solid little unit!!!

Also no HDMI errors with this unit.... With A/V switching.....

:)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Glad to hear about the A2 Steven. Saw one at Best Buy and they do look good. I like the look of the A1 with the bigger retro look but that's just me. The newer slim line version is more on par with the new Blu Ray players, and those look cool.

Hey I love the A1 but I am glad to hear they have fixed some of the first generation issues.

One question, does the "resume play" feature work on HD-DVD discs?

And really, if you have HDMI then there really is no need for the analog out, right?

Enjoy the new toy Steven. :)

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
analogue outs are definitely required. Otherwise you need a new amp to decode all of the sound formats. AFAIK here in the UK the number of amps capable of doing this equals precisely zero.

Whereas my 2001 vintage Denon amp with 7.1 analogue in does just nicely!

Paul Beck

Agent
Purchased my A2 on Friday, replacing the XA1 which I gave to a relative.
Since I use HDMI for most connections, I don't find that lack of the analog inputs actually backward - note that OPPO has a new player which has NO COMPONENT inputs at all, only HDMI.
A few comments on A2:
(1) remote VERY much faster and when you try to change where you made an error it WORKS!
(2) audio changes correctly with each press of the remote button
(3) when a disc is inserted, that small circle in the upper right moves indicating something is going on, not like the previous models which were stationary - I happen to like that
(4) when you make changes a bar appears at the bottom of the screen with information of beginning and ending time with the exact time where you have made the entry
(5) open/close on the player also starts the movie,
no need for a separate entry on the remote to start the disc
(6) sound is much "cleaner" and it does provide the Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus decoders
These are just some of my immediate observations since it was installed only on Friday, December 15th.
Equipment:
HP MD6580 TV
Yamaha RX-V2700 Receiver
Infinity Beta 50 fronts and Beta C360 center
Monitor Audio Silver Surrounds
Velodyne SLP886II subwoofer
Toshiba HDA2 HD DVD player
Samsung BD1000P Blu-ray player
Denon 2930ci DVD player
Panasonic S77 DVD player
Oppo DV-970HD DVD player

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I see we have these in my BestBuy where I work PT but we don't have any HD-DVD on display there at all. My store is practically all BluRay

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Curious...

Is the SD DVD upconversion just as good with the A2? I'm reading mixed opinions about this on AVS where many people claim the A1 is still slightly better in this regard.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

It should be on the V-2 endcap with a Toshiba LCD tv. This is company-wide, as stores with Magnolia Rooms get an additional one in the room but it does not replace the V-2 endcap.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

Well, then Best Buy needs to send a few area managers or whatever to the 2 stores here in Birmingham AL because there are no HD-DVD displays anywhere.

Discussion on AVS leads one to think this is likely widespread.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

The stores have likely forgotten that the endcap needs to be set, it came due back in mid-Oct. with the HD-A2 due in soon after. Well, after the delays I'm sure that they have forgotten about it. I'll communicate that to the Merchandising team so that maybe they'll issue a planogram update for that endcap.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Steven,
Since you have an A2, can you rent or put in Matador and let us know how the boot up time is? The A1 and these latest Genius production discs take forever(moreso than the past).

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I went to my local Best Buy last week. They had four players in stock and they were all stuffed up on a high shelf. There were no display models to be found. When I asked if I could see one, the employee had to find a ladder and climb up to bring a box down. Of course he couldn't open it so I had to be content with looking at the pictures on the outside. It seems to me that they could've at least had a display model, even if it was not hooked up to a monitor. Oh well....I'll be picking one up in the next couple of weeks (finally!) and I'll post my full review once I'm up and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks