Toshiba DLP bulb failure 42HM66

Discussion in 'Displays' started by hondaclf, Jun 16, 2008.

1. hondaclf

hondaclf Auditioning

From what I've been reading online today after the repair guy showed me the broken bulb, this is not at all uncommon. I have seen too many postings saying that the bulb lasts about a year! One even called it a "DLP tax"(laughing on the inside, pissed off on the outside). The new bulbs cost $200-350! The TV new is about $800 online($1000 retail). Also on the Toshiba website is a note about the 2005 model DLP TV's that states Toshiba added a year to the warranty for those TV's due to reports of premature bulb failure and owners could get a "New and Improved" bulb if the original failed. That suggests that they expect the bulb to last at least 2 years, my 15 month old TV with a failed bulb seems to suggest that they didn't fix the problem! What is the point of buying a DLP TV for a few hundred less than LCD or Plasma if you have to spend $300 every year to keep it running? The TV was fine just an hour before I turned it on and it failed.

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

There's a flaw in your logic.

If what you have posted is accurate, it would point to a problem with a specific projector bulb used by Toshiba, not with DLP in general.

I have a rear-projection set (not DLP), and the bulb is rated for 8,000 hours, which equates to about four years.

3. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

The extra year warrantee is only extended to TVs with certain serial numbers. If you got a free bulb, you probably fall within the serial number range. I also had a bulb failure on my 73" Toshiba DLP Cinema Series set. I only had 50 hours on my bulb. That was almost two years ago. My set is still going strong and it gets a lot of use. I hope you have the same good luck with yours. Also, the bulb issue was discussed in this thread-->

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...-good-buy.html