What's new

Toshiba Deploys New HD DVD Marketing Initiatives Based on Strong Fourth Quarter Unit (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Well and as stated in the story, the fluctuations in sales make looking at weekly numbers next to useless.

I also find it interesting that NPD doesn't count online sales.

Doug

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I believe on-line sales are counted in the monthly numbers, but not in the weekly numbers. I think that there are some B&Ms that are not in the weekly, but are in the monthly. This ties into the spat that Sony and Toshiba had last summer with each claiming they had more sales than the other. I think one of them was looking at the weekly numbers and one at the monthly....

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Since I was the one who made the claim I will go back and re-verify how numbers have been tabulated in the past. I may not have an anwser until Monday.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
New article that publishes actual numbers (source other than Bill):

NPD Confirms Huge Blu-ray Share Jump : Format War Central

Home Media Magazine - Bringing Digital Entertainment To You

Bill's numbers:

Week before Warner's Annoucment:

Blu-ray Disc - 15,257 units
HD-DVD - 14,558 units

The week AFTER Warner's announcement:

Blu-ray Disc - 21,770 units
HD-DVD - 1,758 units

So it looks like Bill did NOT modify the numbers at all, and reported them exactly as he got them. Here merely assumed (right or wrongly, still awaiting Adam's confirmation on the issue) that the 360 add-on was not included because of the NPD's "no game consoles were included" remark.

Nice to know that Bill wasn't nefariously altering the NPD's figures in any way.

:)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Just found this clarification regarding the NPD sales figures:

BetaNews | NPD: Free Blu-ray player deals led to boosted sales this month

I work in the electronics dept. of a large Sears store and we have "sold" about 10 or 15 of the Sharp BD players as freebies with Sharp LCD panels, and also have the Sony promotion. Only one of the Sharp players has sold outside of the promo, and it was returned the next day (customer swapped for a PS3).

Apparently the NPD figures do count the freebie players as sold units, so this would easily account for the increase in BD player sales, while the period mentionned was prior to Toshiba's price cuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks