What's new

Toshiba and NEC HD-DVD (AOD) accepted (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Dan,

Thanks for the response.:)

It will be interesting to see how fast those technologies progress and how fast prices drop (including replacement bulbs$$$).

IMHO, today's fixed displays are still too expensive and do not provide the image quality of a good CRT.

JimmyK

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
MPEG4!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

I don't know whether MS's Corona or MPEG-4 (here we're talking about a variation called codec H.264) is the better of the two competing video formats for AOD. I'm just hoping that the better technology really is picked.

If most soundtracks are MLP coded PCM 24/96 at 6 channels then they could still push the video bitrate up to about 20-22 Megabits/sec. 15 Megabits/sec may just be the average.

Dan

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
H.264 is called by the names MPEG-4 part 10 and the official title AVC (Advanced Video Coding). First off it is not actually an improved MPEG-4 but instead a new codec altogether which is about %200 more efficient than MPEG-2 for HDTV. The test was done by the creators of H.264 and can be seenhere on page 13.

I would talk about Corona but I find it highly unlikely that HD-DVD will use it if it already needs to decode H.264 since it will support red laser HD-DVD.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ed,
I don't know whether MS's Corona or MPEG-4 (here we're talking about a variation called codec H.264) is the better of the two competing video formats for AOD. I'm just hoping that the better technology really is picked.
Agree!
I was just "licking my lips" on getting away from MPEG2!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks