What's new

Toshiba A2 $98.87 at Wal-Mart this Friday! (1 Viewer)

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I went to two stores in New jersey and both were out by early morning on Friday.

I think that they should limit this to one per customer. And those of you who bought more than two are just greedy bastards!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The manager at the store I went to refused to let anyone have more than one until everyone in line had one. I think they only had ten or so in stock, so I don't think anyone got more than one. (I got the second- or third-to-last one; I think there was only one person ahead of me who wanted two.)

A gold star for her.

BTW, I fired up the laptop last night. Nothing fancy, and the keyboard has a kinda cheap feel, but it works. On the plus side, I really like the little scroll button in between the mouse buttons below the pad. And while it isn't exactly a featherweight (about 6 pounds with battery), it's lighter than my old laptop. Also, the built-in wireless g worked like a champ. IMO this was a pretty nice deal at $348.

Vista is annoying though. Everything seems to be more complicated than it needs to be. :) I didn't run any games or anything, but the Celeron M530 and 1 GB of RAM performed reasonably well.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
When I bought mine there was a guy in front of me buying and no one else even looking. There were about 16 on the display left. This was during lunch break on Friday. I probably could have gotten more if I wanted. I wasn't sure if my wife was going to share my enthusiasm for the bargain. She did however, but I couldn't get back to WM until Sunday and they were wiped out by then. I would have bought three, but not without discussing it with her. The guy at Best Buy told me that they marked their A2s down to match WM and the 5 they had sold immediatley. He said that someone returned one and it also sold right away. We're kind of rural here but there seems to be some demand. Hope the rumors of more Friday sales by WM are true!!

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

I bought the laptop as well and so far it seems to do what I need it to. Being a Mac user but still needing to use a couple of Windows apps, it's serving its purpose. I was using Boot Camp, but the restarts get tiresome and now I can free up space on my iMac drive.

Aaron, did you delete any of the bloatware that came installed (deleting Norton was the very first thing I did!)? I also share your opinions on Vista; quite over-complicated!

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I've become the home theater gear crack dealer among my friends, relatives and co-workers since the Wal-Mart deal. I picked up 6 A2's on Friday (1 for me, 1 for my brother, 1 for a friend and 3 for co-workers). Since then, I've arranged a mass cable order from monoprice for HDMI/Toslink/Component cables, helped my friend buy a 47" LCD (to go with his new player) and helped my brother pick out a new receiver (his home theater interest is renewed from 5+ years ago). Among the benefits:

* I negotiated a good deal for the 47" LCD at HH Gregg. They happened to have a "buy a Toshiba 40" or larger and get an HD-A3 for $99" deal going. My friend offered it to me since I already picked him up an A2. So now I have both an A2 and an A3 and a total of 12 HD-DVDs coming (5 from each player on the mail-in rebate and Bourne Identity and 300 from the A3).

* Multiple free lunches from my co-workers.

I told my brother he needs to come to the party. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I ran PC De-Crapifier, but only got rid of a couple of things. Aside from Norton, there actually didn't seem to be too much garbage on there (aside from built-in Vista crap like that little slide show on the side of the screen). I was expecting a lot more on such an inexpensive machine. I think Wally World simply cut a good deal on 'em by ordering so many.

I do need to get rid of Norton though. I downloaded AVG and it seems to be pretty decent.

Now I'm just waiting to see if I get used to Vista before giving up and setting everything to "Classic" mode. :) (If it'd come with a Vista install disc, I'd probably just install XP.)

Echo 7

Agent
Real Name
Carlos A. Burgos
okay so today I called around to all the Walmarts and nothing..then I went to the best buy and they acted as if they had no idea. Of course they didn't even have a display one eiither..really frustrating...I wish I would have caught on to this on Sat when I was at the Best buy...ARRRGGHHH. I guess I will have to wait until black friday.

regards,

Echo 7
PS : has anyone managed to get one these past two days (Mon/Tues ) ?

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah...the more i play with it, the more I realize that some of the stuff I thought was bloatware is actually useful and/or Vista stuff. As I said, I did remove Norton and went with AVG. Works very well.

Did yours come with a restore disc or is it on the C drive?

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
When I heard about the $98.00 HD-A2's on Friday afternoon I started calling Wal-Mart’s in Western New York to try and find a couple(I live in Toronto Canada). Every Wal-Mart was sold out or only had a couple left and would not hold them because they were a one day special. Finally after about 15 attempts I found a Wal-Mart in the sticks of western New York that had 9 in stock and was willing to put a couple aside for me!!! The guy working the electronics department said he was not allowed to hold any, but since we were coming from so far away he would hide 3 in the back for me.

I drove down Friday afternoon with my brother and brother in-law to pick them up. We got to the Wal-Mart at 8:00PM and when we walked in we found 2 on the shelf. We grabbed those two (Oddly there was not even a sign saying they were on sale) and walked over to Electronics Check out and told the young guy on the cash that we had called earlier and put some on hold. He immediately said, "Are you the guys from Canada???" LOL. He went in the back and picked up a third one for us. We proudly walked out of there with 3 HD-A2's for $98.00 each!!!!! We considered buying more for friends, but thought the extras would cause too much grief at the border.

We had a great night, and other then some bad directions from googlemaps everything worked out better than expected. The icing on the cake is (according to the Toshiba Rep at a Bestbuy in Canada) we still qualify for the 5 free HD-DVD's from toshiba.ca

troy evans

Screenwriter
Robbie that's awesome. I love taking day trips out of my area to find things. Whether it be dvds I'm looking for or furniture and so on. After getting the HD DVD player hooked up, it's going to be even more of a rewarding experience for you. On a side note, one thing on a trip out of my area that is a must is trying different places to eat
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Echo 7

Agent
Real Name
Carlos A. Burgos
Robbie,

Lucky are you...If I only had known!! Well, as I have said before I will have to wait for Black friday!!! Wish I could still find one.

Regards,

Echo 7

Echo42987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
It wasn't one day but as far as I know the units went on sale at 8:00am and at almost all stores were sold out at 8:15am.

For the people who got one....Any problems with them yet? A few have been reported and I wasn't sure if anyone was having major problems with the units yet?

-Nick-

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I tried to snag a $98 A2 from Wal-Mart Friday but my local Wal-Mart had none. I was disapointed, but the bug to buy stayed with me all weekend. I had orginally opted to stay out of the format war but the $98 A2 deal convinced me to jump in.

Since I didn't get the A2 when I saw the A3 plus 10 free movies online at Best Buy, I jumped on it. The A3 arrived Tuesday and I watched 300 that night. Stunning image on my 65" 1080p Mits DLP.

I wanted to pick up a frew more movies in addition to the ones I got, but my Wal-Mart has a paltry selection, and what it does have is overpriced. I'll be near a Best Buy Friday so I plan on buying one or two more movies then.

Echo 7

Agent
Real Name
Carlos A. Burgos
Hey gents..

So get this Walmart has The A-2 in stock on their website but, at the price of $199.98. What gives ?? When I asked them via e-mail why this what like this..there response was that there are different markets and this is why the price difference. What kind of Balogny are they serving ?? I have asked to speak with a manager and see if I can pay the sale price. We shall see what happens.

Regards,

Echo 7

Hzachary

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard Z Brooks
Just a warning though... the A2 is 1080i not 1080p. HD but not the latest generation

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It doesn't matter if your television converts the 1080i to 1080p. Picture quality-wise, most of us couldn't tell the difference between the two anyway.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
The 98 dollar price was only for the special sale. 197 is the regular price and unle4ss they have another special sale, that is what they will be in the stores too.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

As Robert said, it doesn't matter. All the information that is passed at 1080p is passed at 1080i. Your TV will convert it to 1080p for you. So the 1080i/1080p issue is really not an issue at all. Exact same result in the end.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I had two different people at Wal-Mart tell me that the Friday Secret Sales were going to run every Friday until Christmas with a different set of 5 or 6 items each week. I can't find anything on Walmart.com/secret that confirms this, though. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks