What's new

Toshiba 50H81 Died (1 Viewer)

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well, my (just out of warranty) RPTV bit the dust yesterday, and I'm not gonna buy another RPTV. What would you buy with 3500 dollars? LCD, Plasma? What's the difference? Any particular brand? Min. screen size would be 42", but really need 50".
I can't find anybody willing to come to the house and fix this 2 yr. old RPTV.

Thanks

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
About 2 months ago, the picture started jumpimg from the bottom up,just a little,like a vibration. I bought a grid pattern and adjusted the 56 pt. conv., and everything seemed fine, for a while. The jumping came back, more convregence adjustment. Then the adjustments would not last more than a day. Then I started giving it a slight slap to the side and that cleared it up for awhile, then harder slaps, then a good kick to the bottom, and fianally nothing would stop the jumping. It was now like the set was rolling downhill on square wheels. Unwatchable. Tried the 56pt.one more time, (while it was jumping) with red grid up, it developed a terrific bow from left to right. While trying to straighten this out, the lines started turning to "snow", then the blue, then the green. After a minute the screen went off. Nothing. Been that way since.

I find it hard to believe it's not a manf. defect, I was never impressed with the picture anyway. My 48"RPTV lasted 11 yrs.

Looking for a plasma now, and really disappointed with a 2 yr. old Toshiba.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It's not the CRTs, so whatever the problem is will probably cost you well under $500 to repair. Is that not worth it?!

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
$500 would be worth it for sure, but I'm lost as to what part I will need to fix it. The problem centers around the convergence area. I just don't know which board to get, or if there is more than one part I need. I downloaded a service manual but there is no "troubleshooting section" so to speak, but I haven't read the whole thing yet. Right now only the red power light comes on, but I haven't moved it, or done any disassembly. I have two cabinets on each side w/ Adcom amps, McIntosh pre, DVD's etc. and I haven't gotten around to move it all. Should have built shelves..(Still listen to CD's)
It seems like all the work can be done from the front though, I could be wrong. I can do "remove and replace" stuff, but If I need scopes etc., I'm lost.

Any ideas?

Thanks, I really don't want to shell out thousands right now, cause I'm almost finished with my "florida" room.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Meaux,

So, you've slapped it and kicked it and for some mysterious reason it's only gotten worse. Have you tried giving it a good whack with a shovel? Maybe pitching bowling balls at the screen will help.

Yeesh.

Jan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, he's employing irony. How could you ever hope to help the situation by slapping and kicking the RPTV? Really now.

And did you not ever consider calling the Toshiba service number?

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Old habits are hard to break, haven't you ever owned a valve TV?

Really, I got the idea from another guy that was having the same problem, with the same TV, I wanted to see if a little jarring had the same results that he had. Jesus, I didn't beat the thing to death. I think I did really well to keep my foot out of the screen! :)

Won't be long before I take a sawzall to it.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
This is unlikely to be something you can service yourself. Just call your local Toshiba repair center and have them come out and give you a quote on the repair.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
It really, really sounds to me like the convergence board bit the dust. This was a notorious problem on some Toshiba HD sets (I had two consecutive TN55X81 convergence boards fail on me before I bought a Sony) and should be a relatively straightforward fix...provided you can get the parts. When I needed a new convergence board for my first Toshiba set, it was easier for Toshiba to ship me a new set than it was for them to get the part in stock. Of course, that was in early 2000, so the stock problem is probably fixed by now.

Good luck. I never liked the Toshiba TV's I've owned, but I have a friend with a TW56X81 that's been flawless for him. YMMV.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Thanks Greg. I'm gonna make some calls to out of town service centers, and see what happens. I hope I don't take a saawzall to it on tues.

I was allways a Sony fan. The $900 19" Trinatron lasted 20+yrs., then I bought a 48" Toshiba in 1990, it died in 2000, so I thought, "heck 10yrs. ain't too bad," was I wrong or what?

Thanks again

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
i have the same toshiba.. maybe the tp50f60 can't remember offhand.

well mine is in the shop as we speak, i'll find out today what the estimate is.

Problem i had sounds exactly like what you had meaux.
I actually emplyed the 'slap' method to fix it.. that was a while back and it has been fine for a while since then.

once in a blue moon, fleen would jump like an inch. but was never a huge issue.

well last tuesday it died, and they picked it up on thursday.

Here's hoping its not too expensive to fix.. otherwise might not be worth to fix.

edit: had the wrong model #

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
I have a TW56X81 and I have had it repaired twice. Netiher time was there a CRT problem. Costs are as follows:

Power supply problem: 650$
Convergance board: 750$

That is for part and labor, pickup and delivery included.

I think under 500$ is being wishfull.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Hummmm, my stomach iss starting to feel bad.

So far, over the phone, it will cost $200, and a week to 10 days to find out what is wrong. In other words, $200 for an estimate. (troubleshooting $50, $150 pick-up and delivery) Pensacola Fla. is the closest place.

Thinking about a Monivision 30", $775+shippin, direct view.

I don't know....

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Wow! $200 for an estimate sure sounds steep to me. If you know what you're doing, remove the light box and bring it to them. That'll save you $150 at least.

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a call from the service dept,
its gonna cost $206 to fix, not including the initial $59 to come pick it upt, etc..
so less then 300 total.

i have to say i'm very happy with the price.. i was worried it was gonna be over 500.. and therefore maybe not worth it.

he mentioned something on the convergence board was putting the tv in standby mode.. etc..

i'll find out for sure when they come by later today and let you guys know what it was.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
I went into the Sears store for the heck of it, and told the guy what my problem was, he gave me a card w/ a service number for "in home" repair. $96 estimate fee that will be applied to repair cost, so, Monday I'll know whats next.

Good to hear of your low cost repair, let us know how it works out!

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah it was the convergence IC chip. 2 of them went bad.
they were about 30 bucks each, and the rest of the price was for labor.
so my total cost was about 270.

as we put it together, my s video input wasn't working..
at first we thought it was the tv itself, but we tested the composite in, and that was fine..

So now i was worried that it might be the receiver, or maybe just the s video cable itself... of course i didnt' have an extra svdideo cable lying around... so i ran to best buy and bought one.. and now its fine..

what timing for my monster cable s video to go bad... lol

but all is well now... man one week without my 50 inch.. felt like a month.

good luck to you Meaux with your tv. Hopefully it will be around the same price as mine..
and if it does happen to be the same chip that went bad.. at least now you have an estimate from another shop to compare.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks