What's new

Toshiba 42h81 geometry questions (1 Viewer)

Dennis_L

Auditioning
Well, I received my 42H81 on Friday and had the weekend to get aquainted with it. Overall, my first impressions are quite positive. I haven't done much tweaking aside from turning contrast down, doing a couple of 9-point convergences and memorizing preference settings for the individual inputs (I also "disabled" SVM by setting preferences under the movie mode). I hope to do a calibration with AVIA as soon as the disc arrives (a couple of weeks). Cable, DVD and S-VHS images are quite good to my relatively untrained eye.

What I have noticed, however, is that horizontal lines (one touch focus lines, lines from ticker information, ie.CBC newsworld, Sportsnet, etc) near the left lower edge of the screen seem to bend downward. Also, tilt seems to be off as well (vertical lines near the sides don't appear to run parallel with the screen edge). All observations were noted with the full view as well as theaterwide views.

Being relatively new to Toshiba products and RPTV's in general,

-are these geometry issues minor issues that can be remedied with a technician service/calibration or service manual procedure or are should I consider returning the set for another one?

-because of the lack of hours logged so far, will they disappear as the set breaks in?

-can any adjustments be may at the service manual level that will straighten things out?

-assuming that any adjustment will require physically opening the set and manipulating the CRT assembly (and not just a software calibration), when should I be contacting a technician to come out? Soon as possible or later when the set has seen some hours of use?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some suggestions,

Dennis

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
If these are minor errors, they can be solved by performing a service level convergence, and lining the convergence up to an overlay grid. Such adjustments should not be made until the set has had time to break in, however. Typically like 100+ hours of use.

Chris White

Second Unit
-are these geometry issues minor issues that can be remedied with a technician service/calibration or service manual procedure or are should I consider returning the set for another one?

This sounds like a minor issue you can fix yourself.

-because of the lack of hours logged so far, will they disappear as the set breaks in?

They probably won't disappear, but they will change.

-can any adjustments be may at the service manual level that will straighten things out?

Yes. Click on the link in my signature. Then go to the Toshiba Tips & Tweaks section of my website. Be sure to read the tips regarding convergence and geometry.

-assuming that any adjustment will require physically opening the set and manipulating the CRT assembly (and not just a software calibration), when should I be contacting a technician to come out? Soon as possible or later when the set has seen some hours of use?

Again, based on what you've set, I don't really see the need for a service tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks