toshi sd-5960 uni dvd player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sheldon-m, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

They released the toshi universal dvd player. I seen it at the bb web site for 199$ I have not seen one reveiw on it.
    Has anybody seen one? THX

2. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

BB websites show them in stock but they arent actually in stock..hopefully they'll show up anyday now

3. Sheldon-m

I can't believe that they are going release the SD-4960 before the SD-5960. Can't wait to see a review.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

This is an universal player??

6. Shane K

Shane K Agent

Actually no I don't believe it's a universal player. It's higher cost is because of the HDMI connection that it has.
    I may be completely wrong but that's what I've heard thus far.

Kinger

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

The Target description says it includes Dolby Digital surround sound--the only players I have seen these days that include built-in surround decoders also play dvd-audios and/or sacds.

Edit!: I just read the line "multidisc compatibility" on there. Hi-res......or recordable dvd, CD-R, etc?

LJ

8. Sheldon-m

from the ces 2004 description this is going to be a uni able to hold five disk. They have a single disk. The SD_4960. They do not have these on their web site for some reason.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

10. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
  11. Tim Christianson

So the 4960 has DVD-A and SACD but no HDMI, and the 5960 has HDMI/Upscaling but no DVD-A or SACD, right?

Can't someone just put it all together at a reasonable price and be done with it? WTH

12. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Amen re your above post, Tim.

Technically the title of the thread is incorrect. Dunno what your source is/was for CES info., Sheldon, but its been inaccurate on the issue of uni (the 5960 is not), street date (from what I can tell from your post #3) and the issue of 5-disc capacity (its a single).

-p

13. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

I've had it for about a week. It has HDMI, it's a single disc, and I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure it does SACD and DVD-A. I haven't really been able to work it out yet, as I bought it to go with a Sony HS3 HDMI projector, but I haven't received my screen or long HDMI cable yet. So far it's just been used to watch a couple of DVDs on my old Sony 35" direct view TV. Terminator 3 looked great, but it did hang up and jump a bit on the car chase explosion scene, (doesn't that describe the whole movie? It only happend during one scene, lasting about 1min). Old Bogart movies in 4:3 worked fine, no hang-ups, no strange aspect problems. I'm concerned about the hanging up thing though - there are a couple of threads on the AVS forum where they just detest this player - everyone is returning them.

It's definitely flimsy feeling - all plastic, weighs about nothing, very slim, normal full width. I'm tempted to return it and get a cheaper one that has DVI - HDMI is essentially no upgrade to DVI if you're not using the audio portion of the signal. I've ordered a 15' HDMI cable now, though, so I'll probably stick with it.

14. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Jonty:
    Despite no mention of DVD-A and/or SACD in the spec sheet? I wouldn't think so.

-p

15. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

Well that sux! Not that I have any software that takes advantage, but still - you'd figure that going from 4960 to 5960 would not DROP features, particularly when it's almost $100 more! That's what I get for not researching before purchase - it was an impulse buy when I was getting the projector.

16. Sheldon-m

on toshiba's web site they have the sd-6915(drop date june) will hold 5 disk and be uni player. has any body heard different?

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Can anyone corroborate/amplify upon what another member has posted here re a recall affecting both the 5960 and 4960?

-p

18. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    From what I know the 4960 will be a single disc uni-player, no DVI/HDMI, the 6915 is a 5 disc uni-player, no DVI/HDMI (I bought two when they came out last month-they both went back [​IMG] . As for the 5960, I think it's a single disc, non uni-player with either/or DMI-HDMI. Not sure about that one though. Too lazy to research it as I've completely lost interest in Toshiba for the time being. Sorry.

19. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thx for your comments, Gene, but everything you're refering to is covered either in the thread already or in the player spec sheets linked to in posts #s 9 and 14.

What I'm interested in is whether any 5960 owners have heard of/experienced the HDMI connection problems John Geelan refers to in his post that I link to in my post #17 above. Supposedly, the 5960's HDMI connection is problematic for some TVs. I don't understand how this is possible and why we wouldn't have heard of this from user before now. Thus my query.

-p

20. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Ya, your right. It was pretty a redundant post. Wish I hadn't hit the "submit reply" button on that one :b . Oh well. Maybe I'll do better next time. [​IMG]