What's new

Torchwood on Starz (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I guess I'm in the minority among the posters here. I felt the pacing was fine. I like that it took its time to explore some of the side routes and edges to what was going on. I feel a lot of drama today is rushed. And the 'storytellers' are so interested in finishing, that they use shorthand or expect the audience to fill in the plot holes they left open in their desire to get it over with. I mean, yeah, you could have left out the whole Middle Man aspect, but then you would have missed out on that brilliant dinner conversation. I feel that drama requires texture in addition to pure plot points. In fact, the one thing that bothered me about this was that the entire resolution (reveal of the villains, solving the mystery, and defeating the villains) all occurred in the final episode. I would have liked it better if the reveal had been the end of episode 8, so the planning and resolution wouldn't have felt so rushed. I did like the two-pronged coda - leaving open the continuation of both hero and villain. David

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
I like that it took its time to explore some of the side routes and edges to what was going on.
If anything, I thought the handling of these side events and bigger picture bits was REALLY poor. Cool ideas were brought up - the Dead is Dead people, the Souless and so on - and were discarded without ever mentioning them or exploring them again. Yeah the Souless looked cool in all those masks, but they did nothing for the story. After it hit the midway point, after Vera was killed and The Big Reveal was revealed about the camps, all the social ramification stuff - the best thing of the series - fell by the wayside for by-the-numbers investigation nonsense. I enjoy RTD's work - completely daft as it can get at times - but something one of the Classic Who writers said once rings true here: Russel is a First Draft Writer. One and done, and Mirical Day needed more polish than that. It was better than Series One, not nearly as awesome as Children of Earth and about on par with Series Two. I'll most certainly get the DVD, but I wont be in a rush to watch it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks