What's new

Top Rare DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Up until Weird Al's Video Collection went back into print recently, the old one was commanding prices of $100 or so.

Vic Cordova

Agent
the original fox lorber printing of testuo: the iron man commanded more than 60 a pop but then a region 0 edition came out, plunging its value.

also wortha little bit is raging bull, if i'm not mistaken.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
Also the Puppet Master DVD Collection which I own. That one fetches quite a bit of money on Ebay. I had two of them, and sold one for $200.
yeah, Mitch. I bought that as one of my very first purchases....great set. well, not yours but....

also...my fav rare one is Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs. I got it for $60 on ebay...and it's more rare now than 2 years ago. this classic gem had the rights sold and the film has been re-done. I heard from Tim Lucas at Video Watchdog last month. he said this film will NEVER be the same or seen again as it was...except on this oop dvd or a tape. as far as I know...VERY rare indeed.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I just bought a sealed copy of the Criterion version of Salo from a local store for $16.99! Guess they didn't know what they had... Does anyone know the best way to go about selling it, or if it's really still worth anything?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I just bought a sealed copy of the Criterion version of Salo from a local store for $16.99! Guess they didn't know what they had... Does anyone know the best way to go about selling it, or if it's really still worth anything?
better be sure it is legit first. check out the salo files and decide. basically, if it has the white ring in the middle, it is real. otherwise it is a bootleg.

CJ

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Nilsson's The Point is fetching some high prices on eBay ($15 list price - usually going for $40-$70 when the auction isn't shut down.) Much like Duel, this title was scheduled for release last August, but was withheld at the last minute (a distribution rights problem is the story I heard.) Somehow, copies managed to trickle it into the pipeline and Ebay profiteers are making a killing on it. I would wait on this one, though. Supposedly the transfer stinks and the Nilsson estate is involved in making an authorized version (from original elements) to be released sometime in 2004.

Almost all of the titles in the original Universal Classic Monster Series are hard to find. Once again, the word is that Universal will re-release these down the road.

Finally, the copies of Ed Wood from a year ago that made it out the door were commaning high prices from collectors. With a new release right around the corner, prices for this should drop dramatically.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
OK - Why did they remove the sculpture from "Devils Advocate"?

I assume it's the one that was in his office behind the desk?

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
I got a Horror Documentary DVD entitled "Masters of Horror" that is supposedly 1 of 5 in the world. It's pretty cool having interviews with and Hosted by Bruce Campbell. Wes Craven, John Carpenter, Guillermo Del Toro, George Romero, Dario Argento, John Landis, Rick Baker, Tom Savini, Gunnar Hansen, Edwin Neal,Stuart Gordon, and Tobe Hooper. I imagine it could feth a decent price if I was interested in selling.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Al,

As stated on the box of the first (unaltered) version:

'The large white sculpture of human forms on the wall of John Milton's penthouse in "Devil's Advocate" is not connected in any way and was not endorsed by the sculptor Frederick Hart or the Washington National Cathedral, joint copyright owners of the Cathedral sculpture "Ex Nihilo" in Washington, DC.'

You see? :)
Bad English, IMO, by the way.

Cees

Pete L

Agent
This past year I really pared down my collection (from 1130+). Here's a partial list of legitimate o.o.p. discs that I've sold on eBay and Half.com during 2003 (mostly early in the year), along with the approximate prices they sold for:

Arizona Dream (Region 2 Japanese import / Pioneer Japan)....40.00
Dances With Wolves (original Image release)....50.00
Daughters of Darkness (Anchor Bay)....40.00
Dawn of the Dead (original Anchor Bay director’s cut)....80.00
Duel (Universal)....75.00
The 400 Blows (Criterion Collection #5)....200.00
Ghost Story (Image)....35.00
Halloween (original Anchor Bay 2 disc L.E.)....40.00
Hard Boiled (Criterion Collection #9)....60.00
Kids (original unrated Pioneer/Trimark release)....25.00
The Killer (Criterion Collection #8)....180.00
King Kong vs. Godzilla (Goodtimes)....35.00
Koyaanisqatsi (Director’s Premium signed limited edition)....100.00 (original cost: 180.00)
The Last Days of Disco (PolyGram)....65.00
Mark of the Devil (Anchor Bay)....50.00
Mask (1985) (Image)....35.00
Midnight Run (original Image release)....32.00
National Lampoon’s Animal House (original Universal Collector’s Edition)....50.00
Playtime (Criterion Collection #112)....65.00
Profession: Reporter (Region 2 / Japanese Import / Cinefil Imagica)....45.00
Quatermass And The Pit (Anchor Bay)....40.00
Rush: Exit...Stage Left (Region 2 Japanese import / Nippon Columbia)....45.00
Salò (Criterion Collection #17)....300.00
Scarface (original Universal C.E.)....25.00 (undermined by all the boots)
The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (Image)....30.00
Sid & Nancy (Criterion Collection #20)....60.00
Sixteen Candles (original Image release)....35.00
Slaughterhouse Five (Image)....40.00
Stanley Kubrick: A Life In Pictures....50.00 (not o.o.p., just unavailable outside the Kubrick box set)
Tetsuo: The Iron Man (Image)....75.00
This Is Spinal Tap (Criterion Collection #12)....100.00
Vertigo (original cover art)....30.00
“Weird Al” Yankovic: The Videos (original Image release)....50.00

And these two trucking novelties:

Convoy (Region 2 / Japanese import / Pioneer Japan)....112.00 (actually, this was 2 years ago, before the Convoy boots started flooding in)
White Line Fever (Columbia/Image factory sealed Laser Disc from 1986)....80.00

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
How about Fox's "Sunrise" DVD? I guess it's not officially out of print, but it is a pain in the ass to get a copy of - I saw copies fetching high double digits and low triple digits on eBay over the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks