What's new

Top Rare DVD's? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hah i have the terminator in one of those funky polydor cases.

isnt jingle all the way oop?

Zak Hepburn

Stunt Coordinator
Always on the look out for:
"Charade" CC
"This Spinal Tap" CC
"Hellraiser 1&2" AB TIN (I'm a sucker for the Tins)
"Martin"

But I do have "SOTL" CC,"Sid&Nancy" CC,"RoboCop" CC,"Dead Ringers" CC,Pretty Much all the AB tins,"Akira" 2-disc Tin..
These would be my most "Rare" Disc's.

Wesley

Auditioning
How about the 'Collector's Edition' Austin Powers DVD? New Line later rereleased this title under the Platinum label with has one additional deleted scene.
So the Platinum label of Austin Powers the one with the extra scene or is it the original Collector's Edition?

Sten F

Second Unit
Steven Spilebergs "DUEL" sells for way over $100 on eBay.

Only a handfull got sold in the stores before everyone of them got recalled by Universal. I have no idea what was wrong with them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i never heard there was a different version. of austenpowers. i new it was released in a regular amaray but that was all i new about.

Leroy

Second Unit
Hmm...I wondering what I could get for my Spinal Tap, Little Shop and Devil's Advocate DVD's? :D I bought them all because I wanted them, the only one I knew had something that would be rare was Little Shop. Of course with the Daytona 500 just around the corner..I sure could use some extra cash!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The more lead time that we're able to give retailers, the more we can expose them to what we're going to do and get them excited about it," said Buena Vista Home Entertainment VP of brand marketing Lori MacPherson. The studio is already in the planning stages for 2005 releases.

MacPherson said Buena Vista is plotting its catalog release schedule twice as early as it did a couple years ago. The studio will release special editions of Splash and Ed Wood in February after years of planning.

from this article.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Speaking of Criterion disks, there is also the original pressing of Seven Samurai, which contains restoration footage, and is not region coded. Later pressings do not have the restoration footage, and are R1.

I don't know how much this disk goes for on Ebay. I would guess a slightly higher price than the pressing available now.

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
Criterion titles:

ROBOCOP
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
SALO
THIS IS SPINAL TAP
SID AND NANCY
UNBEARABLE LIKENESS OF BEING
CHARADE
THE KILLER
HARD BOILED
M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY
MON ONCLE
PLAYTIME
HOW TO GET AHEAD IN adverstising

Some of these are going to be reissued next year.

Upcoming OOP Criterion titles will be:

SPELLBOUND
REBECCA
NOTORIOUS

Warner Brothers:

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE - First Pressing (Sculpture In Place)
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS - First Pressing (Alternate Ending)

Universal:

DUEL - Slipped Release
Any of the "Double Feature Monster Classics"
Many of the "Monster Classics"

MGM:

SWAMP THING (European Cut - PG Packaging)
CLOWN HOUSE - Slipped Release (supposedly coming in 2004)

Anchor Bay:

ARMY OF DARKNESS - Original 2 Disc Set
HALLOWEEN - Original 2 Disc Set

Goodtimes/Image/Universal:

ATOMIC SUBMARINE (Being released by Criterion in 2004)
FLASH GORDON

Fox:

Alien Legacy 5th Disc

Lucertola Media:

RABID DOGS (Mario Bava)

A lot of rare/valiable titles have gone under recently due to re-releases:

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
A BOY AND HIS DOG
ANDROMEDA STRAIN
FAHRENHEIT 451

Fox/Lorber/Windstar's versions of THE KILLER and HARDBOILED are starting to go up in value too.

Disney:

Disney Treasures (First Batch):

DAVY CROCKETT
MICKEY MOUSE IN COLOR
etc....

That's just off the top of my head...

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
James, the first pressing of DA has a catalog number of 15090 while the reissue is 16172. The number is on the spine of the DVD case and on the disc itself.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

The "Buy It Now" price is $3000.
Erm ... I think I'll pass.
Lord what fools these mortals be.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Criterion's Straw Dogs is also going out of print soon, I believe, and, although it's due to be released by MGM, it's unlikely that it will feature the same bonus features.

Toy Story Ultimate Toybox - first, it's hard to find in a store now, and second, it's even harder to find at the $50 price tag. Best Buy had it one time and were selling it at $80!

Snow White platinum - need to buy

Ren and Stimpy set - it's only available through timelife and I love Ren and Stimpy so it applies

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
How many copies of the Bill Clinton Grand Jury Testimony were made? It was sold exclusively through Netflix for 2 cents plus shipping, and was one of the first DVDs I got (I watched all 4 hours of it all the way through, but fell asleep during it twice for about an hour each time!)
Also what about the instore DVD demo discs made by most of the player manufacturers? Most of these have the same clips from movies like Twister, Free Willy and Usual Suspects and video footage shot in Japan. I've got a few of them, though I haven't found the ones from RCA or Pioneer yet (I did see the Pioneer one in the store though, it was embarrassingly bad!)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Salo's not the only Pasolini that's tough to find. Arabian Nights, The Decameron, Canterbury Tales and The Gospel According to St. Matthew were all briefly put out by Image and then yanked at the same time as Salo. They don't command Salo type prices, but you're still hard put to find one under $80 each. I finally went the R2 route for St. Matthew, the only one I was missing.

Another toughie is Anchor Bay's early Technicolor picture The Garden of Allah, which can't have sold many copies and went out of print fairly quickly. I'm still after that one. But happily I acquired most of the really difficult things (like Salo) while they were still in print. :D I've been holding off on Duel though since I have to believe it's coming eventually.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
So the Platinum label of Austin Powers the one with the extra scene or is it the original Collector's Edition?
I never got around checking if the Platinum did in fact have an extra deleted scene. However, if anybody is willing to count the amount of Deleted Scenes on the PE, I'll compare it to my CE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks