What's new

Top Gun: SE NOT Coming on November 11- (1 Viewer)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I think the 2:1 framing was a mistake, just like Silverado.
Agree

The movie was shot in Super 35, however when I saw the film at a midnight revival a few years ago I SWEAR there was some information that I had never seen in the video presentation of my 100+ viewings of the movie. I consider myself, somewhat of an expert on the movie.

For instance, there is a shot of all the pilots when Viper is talking at the introduction and you see both Mav and Goose, and Hollywood and Wolfman in the theater print.

Here are two shots of the video, the Pan and Scan and the letterboxed..

But when I saw the revival, Hollywood and Goose were in that shot. So, maybe the pan and scan is zoomed in, and not just lifting the mattes. But There is also I believe information missing from the sides also.

--Matt

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'm sure paramount going come out with a Top Gun SE, I mean it really is a cash-cow especially with it establish fan-base.... It one of those movies that were so stupid at time, which made it so much fun... I remember watching it for the first time and it was just a blast to watch... and I'll pick the SE when it comes out... I refuse to pick up any bare-bones Paramount discs... not for the price they charge...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Looks like only time will tell as to when we'll hear the official news on this one... but count me in! I never bought the first release and I'm glad I didn't. This SE will more than make up for it.

Martin, Please if you can, persuade those that actually decide if the movie would get an added DTS track to this flick. Since Paramount has announced they are now supporting DTS, I can't think of no better catalog title to add it to!:emoji_thumbsup:

Also, Martin, since you're in this thread discussion, can you shed some light and let us know if and when we might see some new releases with DTS?

Are there any titles in the works with DTS in mind?

Thanks for chiming in !

Later
troy

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
The new Top Gun: SE looks to be a damn fine product. This added to the Hunt for Red October: SE release is starting to give me more faith in Paramount.

Hope it continues. This consumer would love it!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you have heard the Top Gun 5.1 laserdisc you wouldn't be asking for DTS. If they can recreate that same 5.1 track on DVD, NOBODY will be unhappy about the lack of dts when they hear it. It's that damn good.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Shane,

If you've heard the DVD, you'll surely be disappointed. It's another one of the wonderful Paramount remastered 5.1 soundtracks where you barely hear anything out of the rears. I had the laserdisc but got rid of it for the DVD. Bad idea.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Indeed. I've never yet heard a 5.1 remastered dvd where it stacks up to the laserdisc.
I've never heard ANY DVD that can stand up to the sound of a laserdisc...and I didn't even have AC3 for laserdiscs...but that's a whole different thread.

My point would be that for the most part, Paramounts 5.1 remixes suck. I've never heard one that was good or even AS good as the pro logic version.

That's why *I* for one am hoping they go back to however they made that laser and do it properly. DTS would be a big fat bonus.

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I've been fond of the "smooth" quality of most of Paramount's remixes. While it's true that they don't "push the envelope" with most remixes, they always stay true to the original soundtrack.

Back to the subject at hand...I truly hope that Paramount chooses to release Top Gun in DTS.

Mr. Blythe, if you can answer this question, please do: how does Paramount dictate which (and why) certain releases would get a DTS soundtrack?

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Mr. Blythe, if you can answer this question, please do: how does Paramount dictate which (and why) certain releases would get a DTS soundtrack?
Hmmm.... This is a question I was asking Mr. Blythe earlier in this thread myself.

Looks like there are two of us that are curious about this issue Mark;)

Can you shed some light on this Martin?

Thanks!

P.S. Would love to see a DTS track included on the TOp Gun:SE:emoji_thumbsup:

Spero D

Second Unit
You're smart beyond your years, Dean.
Since DVDSoon was correct with the Leap of Faith release time frame before it was announced I am betting that the Top Gun:SE will be out in November, maybe not on the 11th, but definetly in November.

Spero D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks