Top Chef Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    This season is off to one heck of a start. I can't remember any season where you had so much actual talent. 2 Michelin star winners? 2 Beard's award nominees?

Some impressive stuff. And I've enjoyed the challenges so far. The really good thing about this season is that nothing has ever crossed the plate that was truly "terrible", just a big jump from good to great.

I like that Bravo is letting the program progress naturally too. It can screw with DVRs, these odd ending times, but the narrative of the show is better, and we get to see more of the production of the food.. which is what I'm interested in.

My favorite reality show on TV... :)

2. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I think its the best season yet... and the next weeks elimination of a contestant after a quickfire will wake some of them up. With so many contestants I figured there would be at least one double elimination episode.

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    I've been an avid watcher since the very first season, and I think this past week was the first time that I can recall ever seeing a contestant (in this case Jennifer) really step up and effectively lead the crew.

Though it's early in the season and there are a number of contestants we have yet to really meet, I feel this year's crop of group has the fewest number of "prima donnas" since season 1. Sure, they've weeded out a few weaker contestants already, but there look to be a good number of strong contenders. Personally, I'm keeping my eye on "Frenchie" - we haven't seen much of him so far, but there always seems to be one contestant who flies under the radar for a while, then comes on strong. Remember Carla last season?

I'm just really glad that Gail is back full-time and they got rid of that annoying Simon-Cowell wannabe judge.

4. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I'm trying to remember if there was ever another season where Colichio had to get up from the table, and then later two at the judges table admit that a contestant's food gave them "bad stomach" :)

I almost died "we're afraid that might be rancid"

I was just laughing out loud thinking of them saying "those SOBs! I can't believe that" in the hours after. Great challenge though. I'm really enjoying this season. Lots of pretty creative talent.

Though, seriously.. I miss a chef who'd do home-cooked stuff. You'd think when they were told they were going out to a camp site, someone would try to come up with Chili or something cowboy.

5. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    I'm really enjoying the wrinkles they've added this season, too - the high stakes quickfires are fun to watch.

I do feel that the winner of this season could be the strongest winner of the series thus far - but I also feel like there are clearly some under-performing chefs that will be weeded out in the coming weeks (Ron, Robin, Ashley...).

Actually, I should probably quit with the predictions... I really missed the mark with Mattin this week (I didn't like his attitude, anyway) and looks like that other judge is back this week.

6. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I mean, anytime two of the contestants are freaking Michellin Star winners, you're off to a good start

7. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

I'm kinda hating Bravo's habit of running the same episode back-to-back with itself. Since I record the second showing, and my DVR starts recording a few minutes before program start, I once ruined the episode by seeing the end of the previous showing, and watching the loser packing their knives. grr...

8. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I don't think she can win it all, but it cracks me up that people keep bashing Rosean for her "simple food". I hate to break this to them, but stuff that seems simple comfort food, done well, is a treat in itself. You don't always have to overthink it.

Everyone else for "Devil / Angel" did the same dish two different ways, basically.. or, two deserts(?) But she did what I was thinking: a good tasting, low calorie "good for you" food, and then a total devil of an over the top sugar ready desert. It was a way better contrast then anyone else even came close with. And as far as ripping, please.. I loved the rant by mr. "I have to use the ghetto pressure cooker".

I am not a fan of deconstructed food. I realize it's part of the challenge to test how they can mentally think of something, but it just didn't look like anything to me.

9. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    Still really enjoying the season. I anticipate a real logjam of talent when they get down to the final 5 or so contestants. I can't even imagine how the final 3-way showdown will go.

I was disappointed that they brought back Toby, but he was subdued and not that annoying.

The deconstructed food challenge was different, and I do feel it's a bit unfortunate that an otherwise talented chef could be sent home over something outside their comfort zone, but thankfully, I don't feel this was the case with the result.

10. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Quote:
    I was disappointed that they brought back Toby, but he was subdued and not that annoying.

I found him very annoying and loved it when Michelle Bernstein smacked him down over the pronunciation of Spanish words. Can you say "paella"?

11. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    Finally got around to watching the finale last night.

Geez - how much space do you need to keep the spoiler from showing in the preview?!?!?!?!

Is this enough?

First, how impressive was it that both brothers made it to the finals! Wow. I was happily surprised that Michael came away the winner. I was thinking they'd go with Brian, but am glad they rewarded Michael's riskier and more creative approach.

All in all, I was very impressed with this season's contestants. I liked that there wasn't as much stupid drama as past seasons - though the group's frustration with Robin's seemingly endless luck was understandable, at least the outbursts were kept to a minimum.

Great season. Looking forward to the next one.

12. Mark_B

Mark_B Second Unit

Mark
    I read an interview with Kevein and he said he was a little hurt and embarressed about the way they handled the ending. Normally, they just announce a winner. This year, they announced his name first, This kind of made him think he won. Instead, they told him that he was not the winner. Sort of made him pack his knives. Also, normally they get to choose their assistants for the final from the grouip. This time it was random. Not that it was the assistants fault he lost, he just wasn't comfortable with who he got. I thought he should have won.

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It is implied, but not explicit, that Kevin came in third. But given the way the producers exploited the "feuding brothers" angle, it casts doubt on the season, at least since Michael overcooked that fish. For all we know, Kevin was second, but they dismissed him to get the two brothers. Maybe they booted Jen for the same reason. Inviting their moms now seems suspicious.

The fine print at the end of the show says that the judges and producers decide together. (I don't recall the exact wording.) In trying to up the drama, the producers damaged whatever credibility they had. They should not have dismissed Kevin that way.

14. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

That's been there since the beginning - and as far back as the first season, I have felt that the "producers" have influenced the judges' decisions to keep the drama going (i.e. keeping Tiffany and Dave alive until nearly the very end).

However, on numerous occassions, Tom Colicchio (sp?) has gone on record saying that this has never happened. Naturally, I take all of this with a huge grain of salt - I'd like to believe the judges' decisions are final, but it wouldn't shock me to discover that's not the case.

In all, I agree that it was unusual and perhaps a bit cruel to treat Kevin the way they did, but let's face it, the guy's still an awesome chef and has one hell of a career ahead of him. I don't think he has any real reason to be mad at the show.

15. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

People here on the blogs in Atlanta are really ticked off at the "biscuits and gravy" remark. I don't watch the show so what was that about?

Oh, and I've eaten at Kevin's restaurant, Woodfire Grill, and it's sublime.

16. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    I think the comment was something to the effect of "You've shown us that southern cooking is more than biscuits and gravy." I think for people to get upset about it is kind of silly - I'm sure the judges know that southern cooking is a lot more than that, and so the comment was directed more at the audience, who are more likely to have stilted views and preconceived notions about regional cuisine other than their own.

The interesting thing with Kevin was that throughout the competition, his dishes tended to be simpler, but the execution was almost flawless every time. He was my favorite since almost the beginning, but I liked the fact that the winner was the only one of the three without their own restaurant. To me, it kind of keeps in the spirit of the show - a chance for an up and coming chef to kick-start their career.

I'm jealous - I would love to eat at Kevin's restaurant (not to mention return to Atlanta where I lived for about 10 years).

I did surprise the wife with dinner at Perilla (Howard Dieterle's restaurant in NYC) and it was a great experience!

17. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

"I think the comment was something to the effect of "You've shown us that southern cooking is more than biscuits and gravy." I think for people to get upset about it is kind of silly - I'm sure the judges know that southern cooking is a lot more than that, and so the comment was directed more at the audience, who are more likely to have stilted views and preconceived notions about regional cuisine other than their own."

Have they ever said anything like that to any other regional chef?

"You've shown us that Southwestern cooking can be more than tacos and guacamole."

"You've shown us that New England cooking can be more than baked beans and clam chowder."

I understand where you're coming from but I also understand their gripes if this is the first time this has happened. It's a bit demeaning.

18. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    Personally, I think it's silly for anyone to take offense to a comment like that. No matter what the subject - be it sports, movies, food, art... there are always neophytes whose perception of the subject matter is skewed, cliche, and limited at best. Often this is due to a lack of exposure and/or lack of interest (how many Maine natives have ever had real, Southern sweet tea and barbecue?).

If anything, comments like that are a way to spur people to give something another chance, to open their mind a bit and be receptive to the idea that what they thought about a subject was incomplete and inaccurate to begin with.

People who are passionate about something (like so many around here are about OAR) should embrace the expansion of that idea by whatever means necessary. Taking offense, on the other hand, seems counterproductive at best and elitist at worst.

Just my opinion, of course.