What's new

Top 100 Cult films of all time (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Near Dark

Last House on the Left

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Evil Dead

Beautiful Girls

Donnie Darko

eXistenZ

Thirteenth Floor

Clerks

Mallrats

Chasing Amy

Dogma

J&SBSB

Grosse Point Blank

True Romance

Reservoir Dogs

RobD

Second Unit
The Stepford Wives is a good one and you can't really have Blood For Dracula without Flesh For Frankenstein.

phreakt

Auditioning
Real Name
eric
ok to touch on the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy movie, there is one, btw one of my favorite movies of all time, i read the book, loved it, but after watching the movie, i carried a towel around with me for a few months, hey , its a big galaxy , and if you wanna survive , always know where your towel is, as for movies, this is a very broad subject, so ill just touch on it a little, its hard to find movies that have been left out, but here goes,

BLOOD AND DONUTS,

JESUS' SON,

BONGWATER,

HOWARD THE DUCK,

A FACE IN THE CROWD,

SUBURBIA,

HEAVY METAL,

A SCANNER DARKLY,

TREMOURS,

DONNIE DARKKO,

JOHNNY PNEUMONIC,

HACKERS,

SLC PUNK,

EQUALIBRIUM (IM NOT SURE IF I WOULD REALLY SAY CULT, BUT I DONT KNOW BUT A HAND FULL OF PPL THATS SEEN THIS, IT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED)

KIDS(PROLLY WOULD BE THE MOVIE TO DEFINE MY TEENS, CEPT FOR THE AIDS)

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF A SPOTLESS MIND

ONCE BITTEN

8 DAYS A WEEK

HAROLD AND KUMAR

FACES OF DEATH(TRILOGY)

STAR WARS IS THE BEST MOVIES EVER MADE, CULT OR NOT

FIGHTCLUB

MY BOYFRIENDS BACK

BARBED WIRE

PANS LABRINTH

EL MARIACHE

DESPERADO

FROM DUSK TILL DAWN

AND WELL MANY MANY MORE,but that will work for now

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I would say a lot of the more recent entries on these lists are invalid purely because any remotely mainstream release gets a BIG audience base in every high street and Internet site around the world via DVD.
DVD has basically killed off the true cult film (real underground, no distribution deal of any real size films aside) as most films now end up in big quantities in mainstream shops all over the world.
Cult films were made because you had to hunt them down in sometimes rare, out of hours, cinema screenings. Which meant your general mainstream movie goer would probabaly never even bother (or risk it!).
The very way they existed helped to make that cult status as much as the content.
Later on it was late night TV screenings maybe, but those you also had to hunt out.
Now almost every film, even those you have not heard of before, flood out onto high street/Internet shops as much as any Michael Bay flick almost.
And I've never agreed that a mainstream film that flopped automatically means it's a cult film. It's just a flop.

mork

Auditioning
Real Name
mark
Plan Nine From Outer Space!!!! I love it! "Humans are just stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid!" HAahaha!!11!!!! Did MST ever do that movie?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
These films work on their own so I'm not sure why people need MST to get them to laugh.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
How is Robocop a cult film? Not that I don't like it, but it was a huge smash hit when it was released in 1987.

Now how about Laserblast? Now that's a cult film!

Eric Ten

Grip
Real Name
Eric Tengren
MY CULT FLIX

FLASH GORDON

PERFORMANCE

FIGHT CLUB

THE BIG LEBOWSKI

THE HARDER THEY COME

WITHNAIL AND I

SHOGUN ASSASSIN

BATTLE ROYALE

PIRAHNA

QUADROPHENIA

DAWN OF THE DEAD

EVIL DEAD 2

DEATH RACE 2000

BARFLY

SAINT JACK

BUFFALO 66

THE WARRIORS

VANISHING POINT

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm not terribly sure what people think qualifies a movie for "cult" status these days. I've always considered a "cult" movie one where the "cult" knows every word by heart and comes to the screenings dressed as their favorite characters ("Rocky Horror Picture Show" would meet that criteria, as would "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," "Star Wars," "Star Trek," "The Sound of Music" and "The Wizard of Oz"), dedicate countless web pages to discussing the minutia ("Twin Peaks," "The X-Files," "The Matrix"), hold conventions ("Star Trek," "Twin Peaks"), obsessively collect memorabilia ("The Wizard of Oz," "Star Wars") in short, movies that people dedicate a significant chunk of their lives to.

John Waters, when discussing his designation as a "cult filmmaker" said something to the effect that, if he is truly a "cult filmmaker," his followers should be willing to do his bidding, die and kill for him. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of what he said. In short, he should be like Jim Jones with a movie camera. That's what his movie, "Cecil B. Demented," is about.

There is a difference between a cult movie, a camp classic, a midnight movie and an obscurity/underseen gem.

Cult Movies (i.e., Movies with obsessive followings):

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Star Wars

Star Trek (the TV show and the movies)

Twin Peaks (the TV show and the movie)

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

The Sound of Music

The Wizard of Oz

Harry Potter

The Evil Dead

Camp Classics (i.e., Movies So-bad-they're-good, but without the obsessive following of a true "cult" movie):

Mommie Dearest

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Flash Gordon

Grease 2

Showgirls

Plan 9 From Outer Space

Midnight Movies (i.e., Movies that first made a splash through midnight screenings, but without the obsessive following of a true "cult" movie):

Pink Flamingos

El Topo

Eraserhead

Obscurities and Underseen Gems (i.e., Movies I like that mainstream audiences never heard of/embraced):

This is a highly personal list and everyone's will be different, but this is the list that would be inclusive of most of the movies already named in this thread.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I wasn't sure if this one has been mentioned, but I'd like to include The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-In-the-Moon Marigolds.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Serenity, which has a yearly showing now at many theaters, has to be a cult film.
I'll throw out a few new ones:
BtVS: "Once More With Feeling" Yes, it's a TV show. But for several years, it occupied theaters with a massive sing a long. Dear god, get this back on track; some of the most fun hours I've had anywhere.
htf_imgcache_26343.jpeg

Serenity: Yearly showings almost everywhere.
Love, Actually: I know, this is a traditional melodrama, but this also now has yearly showings in quite a few places, and is one of the few films that gets me damn near every time. Especially at this scene.
htf_imgcache_26344.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks