What's new

Top 10 War Related 'comedic' Satires (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I only just now heard of this film, and now that I have I must include it in the list!
Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed (AKA Army Go Home!)
Gregor Jordan made this highly regarded satire on war back in 2001 starring Joaquin Phoenix, Anna Paquin, Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, Dean Stockwell, Elizabeth McGovern, Gabriel Mann, and others.

It premiered at the 2001 Toronto Film Festival and was highly regarded, but it could not have come at a worse time, because only three days later the world was rocked by the events of 9/11 and no one was ready to fairly review let alone view any war related films.

Jordan put it on the shelf until the 2002 Edinburgh Film Festival, and there it caught the attention of Miramax who then bought the US distribution rights and scheduled a screening of it at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival. Unfortunately once again this film was hurt by world events when the
situation in Iraq caused many viewers to react negatively to the content of the film.

Now that the situation in Iraq seems to be settling down, Miramax has announced that they are scheduling a limited US release of the film on July 25th.

Hopefully this time around nothing will happen that will have a negative influence on how it does in the theaters.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Someone has a strange definition of satire if they think Mister Roberts is a satire.

Mr. Roberts is a bit of a comedy, but it's mostly in earnest in describing the malaise of waiting out the war. It is in no way satirical.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Don't think this one (Blake Edward's) has been mentioned yet: "What Did You Do in the War? Daddy ?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks