What's new

Top 10 War Related 'comedic' Satires (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
SYLLABICATION: sat·ire
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: str KEY
NOUN: 1a. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit. b. The branch of literature constituting such works. See synonyms at caricature.
2. Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity

Given the era in which 'Kelly's Heroes' was made (1970), the obvious irony of Sutherland's 1944 hippie and the Capt's warnings about looting as he measures a sailboat for the belly of a B17, the sarcasm of Don Rickle's (talk about typecasting) caustic comments on war (Constant whining, "I'm gonna get a rupture carrying this thing", when he only left his easy supply post for the gold) and the general wit of depicting a bunch of American "Heroes" as simple greedy thieves, not liberators or even heroes and then the audacity of making you like them and even cheer them on - I think this is the height of satire.

Given the backdrop of the Vietnam war (treading lightly), much like MASH broke war down to it's lowest denominator - death, 'Kelly's Heroes' attempted to satirize war by breaking it down to what some criticize war is really all about - Money. But it did it lightly, was not as preachy as MASH and made it fun and enjoyable. But under all the funny antics, a definite message about the folly, vice and stupidity of war was there. You (the viewer) just don't see it because you LIKE these guys!

Either that or I'm full of sh*t, YMMV!

Author's note - I don't necessarily agree with this message and the movie is one of my favorites with (in spite of??) this message. MOF, the movie can be thoroughly enjoyed without ever seeing, hearing or acknowledging the message, but I still say it is there.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Nice list and a fine idea, Nils. Some random comments:

Catch 22 is I think, a noble, but failed effort. While I admire some of the film, in the end I think that Nichols probably proved that the Heller’s book is really unfilmable.

I second The Americanization of Emily and Oh! What a Lovely War. For some reason it seems somewhat unknown in the States.

While it is not a satire on war, exactly, Jean Renior’s Grand Illusion (the inspiration of Stalag 17 both very funny and poignant.

I tried diligently to think of a satire of Vietnam, and the best I could do was The Green Berets. :D I don't really consider Good Morning, Vietnam a satire.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Can a list like this truly be complete without mentioning South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut? Especially with Wynona Rider's "Ping Pong" trick at the U.S.O. show? :D

-Lyle J.P.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I second South Park the movie. Ultimate satire of war and its even relavant to current events :)

capt

Eric Berger

Agent
La Grande Vadrouille

Aka: Don't Look Now - We're Being Shot at; Don't Look Now, We've Been Shot at; The Big Runaround

Perhaps the most widely publicly acclaimed movie ever by French audiences. It certainly belongs on your list.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Come on guys. Am I the only one who thinks that 'Blimp' is a comedy and satirical? And very, very funny?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I guess I skipped Stripes because it's more of a military satire than a war satire. But it's all fuzzy, and I certainly have no problem including it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
You guy's disappoint me, a thread like this and not one mention of only the single greatest war satire ever made! I'm speaking of course of Top Secret! :)

Eric F

Screenwriter
The Man Who Would be King. Brilliant movie making here.

You could say this is an adventure film, but the social commentary isn't hard to miss. Pretty close to the book.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
King Rat

I have only caught this a couple of times on TV, but it is a powerful if not obscure entry into the war satire venue.

Probably the best performance by George Segal who got lost in a lot of light comedy roles during his careet.

A thought provoking story by James Clavell deserves a wider viewing.

British and Americans are in a Japanese POW camp. The British (social and military) and American military class sturcture is turned upside down by Segal's character Corporal King (King Rat) who thrives with his free enterprise hustler survival strategy.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Stripes belongs to a long and honorable line of service comedies, but it isn't a satire per se, much less a satire about war. Duck Soup, which isn't a service comedy, is a satire about war. :)

Regards,

Joe

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the long delay in updating the list.

Let me know if the ranks need adjusting, or if there are some that need to be added or removed.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I just saw a promo for this film on Bravo:

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed

From what I could tell it looks very much like it should be added to the Honorable Mentions List. Anyone here ever seen this film?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
OH! WHAT A LOVELY WAR - never released on Home Video - ever!

Mister Roberts
Stripes
Private Benjamin
Opperation Petticoat (submarine)
Kelly's Heros
Catch 22
To Be or Not to Be
and of course the very best of the bunch: Dr. Stranglelove

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Exciting news folks! Columbia/TriStar just announced that they will be releasing Link Removed on DVD this July!

No word yet on what, if any, special features it might have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks