What's new

Top 10 favourite 80s films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Amazon Spain has a region-free Blu-ray of PRIZZI'S HONOR. It's 1080i, barebones, and for all I know of dubious provenance (i.e. bootleg) but it's much better than the non-anamorphic DVDs out there.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
And the fine folks at Shout Factory get another favorite 80s title of mine off the list and into my Blu collection:

No Way Out (1987)

NoWayOut_Blu.jpg

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
trajan said:
LOCAL HERO
LOCAL HERO, COMFORT AND JOY, GREGORY'S GIRL, HOUSEKEEPING...and there's your unassailable Bill Forsyth Blu-Ray box set. And do none of the companies reissuing the same Christmas classics endlessly see that "Comfort And Joy" is the spectacularly-photographed, atmospheric, timeless new Blu-Ray Christmas classic they've been hoping for?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Bob Cashill said:
Amazon Spain has a region-free Blu-ray of PRIZZI'S HONOR. It's 1080i, barebones, and for all I know of dubious provenance (i.e. bootleg) but it's much better than the non-anamorphic DVDs out there.
I respectfully disagree. It's almost unwatchable to my eyes.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
davidmatychuk said:
LOCAL HERO, COMFORT AND JOY, GREGORY'S GIRL, HOUSEKEEPING...and there's your unassailable Bill Forsyth Blu-Ray box set. And do none of the companies reissuing the same Christmas classics endlessly see that "Comfort And Joy" is the spectacularly-photographed, atmospheric, timeless new Blu-Ray Christmas classic they've been hoping for?
David, if you have a region-free player, you may like to know that Studio Canal UK's upcoming Blu-ray release of Comfort and Joy is now available for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comfort-and-Joy-Blu-ray/dp/B0185P7HJS

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
One that hasn't been mentioned that I'm still waiting for is the 1987 Peter Falk comedy Happy New Year. There's been no Blu-ray or DVD release; only an old VHS.

Happy New Year.jpg

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
At this point, much of what I would really want from the 80s is already out, but here are 10 more films I'd like to see get Blu releases. I believe some of these don't even have a DVD available.

Bad Manners (Martin Mull / Karen Black)
Beyond Therapy (Julie Hagerty / Jeff Goldblum; 80s Altman)
Big Trouble (Peter Falk / Alan Arkin; I've never actually seen it but want to. I'm interested to see Falk and Arkin in another film together; plus it's Cassavetes' last film.)
Borderline (Charles Bronson / Ed Harris / Bruno Kirby)
The Evil That Men Do (Charles Bronson / Theresa Saldana)
The Gods Must Be Crazy (A collection with both this and its sequel would be ideal.)
Grace Quigley (Katharine Hepburn / Nick Nolte)
HealtH (Carol Burnett / James Garner / Lauren Bacall; late-70s Altman film not released until 1980)
Pass the Ammo (Bill Paxton / Tim Curry / Annie Potts)
Renegade (Terence Hill / Robert Vaughn; Amazon shows an All-Regions BD is available but with Italian and German as the only languages listed.)

Also, the film I mentioned in my previous post in this thread - from 2 years ago - still isn't available yet on Blu or DVD - Peter Falk's Happy New Year. So I'm still waiting on that one along with these 10 films listed above.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I just learned about the Guyana Tragedy events through a an article from a facebook friend and searched in case there was a film on that.
I found out about this TV film
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080832/

Apparently there is no decent DVD of it, so I'd welcome a restored bluray.

There's also a theatrical film from what I see (among others)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080833
But the TV movie gets higher ratings.

The thought of it however is horrifying.
I already started not feeling well thinking about it.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
SIX WEEKS
OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE
PRETTY IN PINK
BETTER OFF DEAD
THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS
RICH AND FAMOUS
THE ELEPHANT MAN
MY FAVORITE YEAR
OH HEAVENLY DOG
HELLO AGAIN

and 2 on the cusp from 1990
REVERSAL OF FORTUNE
NARROW MARGIN

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The
SIX WEEKS
OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE
PRETTY IN PINK
BETTER OFF DEAD
THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS
RICH AND FAMOUS
THE ELEPHANT MAN
MY FAVORITE YEAR
OH HEAVENLY DOG
HELLO AGAIN

REVERSAL OF FORTUNE
NARROW MARGIN

Secret Of My Success (1986) has been released on Region B Blu-ray. Available on Amazon UK.
You'll need a region free player.

IMG_8413.JPG

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Definitely with you on Xanadu, Tootsie and Foxes. I have Foxes on DVD.

I thought there was a 2fer Blu-ray pack featuring Valley Girl (and The Sure Thing) but I looked again and its a DVD. That's one I wish was out on Blu.

Working my own 80s list at this time. I'll put it up once I get done typing it up. Definitely more than 10 movies (16 in my case).
Since this posting, both films in the 2fer DVD pack have made it to Blu. Valley Girl (1983) was just announced yesterday and Ron’s pre-order link went up today. Of course The Sure Thing (1985) came out in 2015

EDE6A511-3E3A-4456-BE61-C7618893FA21.png

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I find it perplexing that one of the best comedies of the 80's, 1983's VALLEY GIRL, has yet to be upgraded. What could possibly be holding it up? MGM has been opening the floodgates and licensing to a bunch of indy labels but, inexplicably, no one has picked it up. One possibility is that MGM may want to release it themselves but that's like saying it will never come out - MGM has barely released anything themselves. Could someone please rescue this?
SHOUT Factory & Ronald Epstein to the rescue! Took 3 years though!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
(*)Godzilla 1985
[*]Star Wars Return of the Jedi - theatrical version
[*]The Kindred
[*]The Abyss
[*]Fright Night II
[*]Cannibal Ferox
[*]The Fly II
[*]Rawhead Rex
[*]Midnight Run
[*]The Hidden

[/list]
Honorable mention - Alligator, Monstroid, The Gate & Watchers

Some of them might be or are coming - I think Grindhouse has Cannibal Ferox forthcoming, Midnight Run is getting an overseas blu ray release, Synapse and the courtroom have The Kindred and there is the rumor of Star Wars ROTJ theatrical could happen. Godzilla 1985 will eventually happen when Toho has 100% control of the film..[/QUOTE]

Since I made this post 4 of the 10 have made it to Blu ray - The Kindred is out of the Courtroom..I acquired both The Fly II and Fright Night II Imports.. Still Waiting for The Abyss, Return of the Jedi, Alligator, Monstroid and Watchers (among other 80s wonders)

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
SIX WEEKS
OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE
PRETTY IN PINK
BETTER OFF DEAD
THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS
RICH AND FAMOUS
THE ELEPHANT MAN
MY FAVORITE YEAR
OH HEAVENLY DOG
HELLO AGAIN

REVERSAL OF FORTUNE
NARROW MARGIN

Better Off Dead has been out on Blu-ray for quite some time. Region A.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks