Too much Sunlight, need curtain ideas.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike_Priest, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Mike_Priest

Mike_Priest Auditioning

Ok.. here's the problem. I have my HT set up in my basement, but I have glassblock windows in the basement. Starting at around 2pm till about 4:30pm everyday the sun shines directly into the room and I have a hard time seeing the picture on my RPTV. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions and/or ideas on how to eleminate this problem? Moving the HT isn't an option. I'm wondering if I should go for a material that will block the sun.. or simply filter the sun. Thanks in advance for any responses.

-Mike

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Hard to say for sure without knowing the dimensions or position of the glassblock window, but, I suppose you could use a roll-up type blind that would be less obtrusive and less expensive than black-out curtains. In a perfect world we would want complete control of all the light in the room. The closer to that ideal the better.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

At Home depot, they sell Roll down shades that are made of Blackout material.

It is a 3ply vinyl that blocks out like 100% of light and comes in different colors and sizes.

My windows is about 6 feet wide and it only cost $30 for a shade that goes from the top to the floor. Mine is blue on the inside, and white on the outside.

This was the best cost/performance answer to my window problem.

4. Mike_Priest

Mike_Priest Auditioning

Great.. thanks for the info fellas! I'm going to head up to Home Depot this afternoon.

5. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I second the blackout shades from Home Depot...though I opted for the even cheaper plain white roll downs. They probably block about 80% of the light. But I bought a set of nice thick Navy Blue drapes from Ikea and the combination of the shades and drapes blocks about 98% of the light.

6. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

Places like JC Penney and Sears also carry "blackout" draperies in different sizes. There are many options out there - have fun!

Pam