Too Much Static Electricity In The House...Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I just got off the phone with my mother, and she says the static electricity in our house is the worst it's ever been; she can't even comb her hair. Can someone please tell me what the frig is happening? The only changes we've made before last winter was moving our computer all the way upstairs, and my mom thinks that's the source of the problem.

Can someone comment on the situation?

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I will comment, The heater running often or at all depending on the relative humidity of your locale can make the air very dry in the house resulting in static electricity.

I would suggest getting a humidifier, or just boil some water on the stove 2 or 3 times daily (you may use a fan to spread the humidity), this will help alleviate the dry condition and should help eliminate the static electricity.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Living in FL, if there's ever a time when you can't brush your hair due to static electricity, you'd better duck. You're about to be struck by lightning.[​IMG]
    Humidity is too low in the house. If you're really curious, go to Radio Shack and get a thermometer with Humidistat on it. You'll probably find it well below 25%.
    Todd

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

alternately:

find a cat (or small dog)...charge yourself up...enjoy!

kevin t

5. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

cats HATE static electricity, but it's fun none the less.

my cat flinches when I pet it because I've pulled the "shock the cat" bit a few too many times.

Oh well, I'd rather shock the cat than any of my electronics.

Definitely get a humidifier if you want to get rid of static electricity, or move to a swamp.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My car gets a lot of static electricity. I've gotten into the habbit of closing the door with my elbow, because if you touch it with your hand, you'll get shocked more often than not.

7. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

I find vacuuming using a carpet powder helps with static electricity. Also using those fabric softner sheets that remove "static cling" helps too =). I have sweaters that I air dry and boy do they have a ton of static electricity since they dont get the fabric softner. Sean's suggestion on moistening up the air in your home will help deffinately help too.

8. BryanW

BryanW Agent

Go buy yourself a good humidifier or install one in your furnace just don't forget to shut it off in summer time. Good luck[​IMG]

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

sounds good everybody, thanks

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Had frequent static problems during the winter until two years ago. At that time, I bought a new furnace and a whole house humidifier that tied into it (about $300, I think.) Haven't had a problem since.