What's new

Too many devices using component video (1 Viewer)

KenWojo

Auditioning
Argh...I don't even know where to begin!

Having only been into home theater for six months (we bought our first home seven months ago I chose to wait until we weren't renting) I don't know if my problems are ignorance or crap hardware. Maybe you can tell me which, if not both.

Here's my problem. I just upgraded my digital cable to HDTV with a DVR. Prior to that I ran my digital cable through coax to the standard ANT in on my TV. This freed up my component video inputs for my DVD player and XBox. Now, with the HD/DVR set top box I need to connect that to one of my component inputs, of which I have only two,
and therein lies the rub. I can't figure out a way to hook everything up, which leaves me with my XBox disconnected and I'll have to go through the painstaking ordeal of pulling out my TV and switching the cables between the DVD player and the XBox. The only alternative
(and, now that I think of it, the *better* alternative) is to hook up the XBox and play DVD's on that.

I've tried hooking everything through the receiver, but for some reason I'd get no video. I also tried hooking the DVD player directly to one of the numerous S-Video ports on the TV (admittedly not as good as component, but better than switching cables around) but none of that worked. For some reason I don't get a picture when I hook the DVD up to S-Video on the monitor...a problem I can't understand in the slightest, and probably a bone-headed mistake.

In addition to the XBox with the HD Pack I have what I thought was a good receiver (Kenwood VR-707) that I purchased as a package based on a few fantastic reviews. I also have a Hitachi 65" rear projection HD ready monitor. The set-top box is a Magnavox HD tuner with built in DVR supplied by my cable company.

If any of you have any idea how I *should* hook this system up, I'd appreciate the advice. Otherwise any idea as to what options I have for getting all three component devices connected simultaneously would be greatly appreciated. BTW, both the DVR and TV have DVI connections, but the TV's DVI connection is on Input 1, one of the two component video inputs.

TIA,

Wojo

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Take a read through this post... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...305#post564305

If your receiver does not convert its various video outs to component then you will need the component hookup fromt he receiver to the tv as well as any other types that you are using in your system (s-vid, composite etc). Try using just one of the component connections to your receiver first (dvd for example) and have the component out from your receiver hooked up to your tv.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ken. Welcome to HTF!

First, most recievers will not convert composite,svideo,component to a single output. If you feed Component video to the reciever, the reciever will only provide video output on it's component outputs.

Check to see that the ONLY video connection between your reciever and TV is a set of component cables. Then, plug some component source into the DVD input and make sure you can see the feed on the TV.

Second, hook up some other component input to the reciever and see if you can toggle between the two.

Once you get this far, the rest is easy (as long as you have enough component inputs.)

If your reciever only has 2 component inputs, I would suggest:

HD CATV box - straight to TV

XBox and DVD player - to the reciever - to the TV

This puts your highest frequency/video device straight to the TV and the lower-bandwidth devices through the reciever.

Hope this helps.

KenWojo

Auditioning
Unfortunately both of these replies rely on component output from my receiver, which I failed to mention doesn't, strangly, exist. I'm starting to think I purchased a weak receiver even though it got tremendous reviews. The alternative is ignorance, and I hate the thought of that. ;)

Wojo

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Some very good (even outstanding) recievers dont do component video switching. And some of the ones that do were designed for component video, not progressive or HD video which have much higher frequencies.

This thread on Inexpensive HD Video Switching was written for people like you. Great reciever, but you need component video switching as well.

The thread is kind of long, but I have tried to put video switch-box's from about $49-$200 in the first section. The rest of the thread is discussion, recomendations, etc.

Hope this helps.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
To help you with your dvd problem. You may want to go into the settings of the dvd player. In there there might a place to change and switch it from the component to the svideo output. I have a dvd player that I have to do that to. Hope that works.

KenWojo

Auditioning
The only setting I can find that's related to that is for progressive scan. I know that in running through S-Video progressive scan will not work, however, there doesn't appear to be a simple way to disable it. It has the option of Auto, Bob, or Weave. Supposedly the output mode is configured automatically depending on what form of cabling is connected.

Wojo

MikeRo

Auditioning
Why not just use a component video switch to change between your DVD player and your XBox. I saw a few reasonably priced ones over at showmecables.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks