What's new

Too close for comfort? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think we can add Too close for Comfort as stalled TV series. I would love to complete this series as i was huge fan of Ted Knight.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
rmw650 said:
If you have Antenna TV, they air the show from M-TH at 10-11 PM CT and on Sundays as well at a different time.
Canada does not have antenna TV. I have S1/S2 of Too Close for Comfort on DVD and watch it time to time. The first two seasons are the best as the plot revolves around the monroe and rush family. Muriel gets pregnant and the baby is introduced later in S3 and on.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
They were working on Season 3 release, I remember reading about it from the daughter that was blonde but that was years ago. They must have hit some sort of road block.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
Basically, what happened was Rhino decided to pull out of the TV on DVD business. They planned the third (and final season) of My Favorite Martian as well (and were even talking about special features), but that was also abandoned. Both of those releases had box art and tentative release dates which Rhino kept delaying (but assuring they would eventually come)... but they never came, and never will (although MPI has supposedly taken up My Favorite Martian, they haven't released anything yet, but they usually stick to their word even if it takes years to actually get the product out). I think that now, all of Rhino's TV on DVD releases are officially out of print and what is left is a music reissue company.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
skees53 said:
Basically, what happened was Rhino decided to pull out of the TV on DVD business. They planned the third (and final season) of My Favorite Martian as well (and were even talking about special features), but that was also abandoned. Both of those releases had box art and tentative release dates which Rhino kept delaying (but assuring they would eventually come)... but they never came, and never will (although MPI has supposedly taken up My Favorite Martian, they haven't released anything yet, but they usually stick to their word even if it takes years to actually get the product out). I think that now, all of Rhino's TV on DVD releases are officially out of print and what is left is a music reissue company.
Thanks for the posting
Unless Shout Factory decides to purchase the rights then Too close for Comfort is probably dead. I am a fan of Ted Knight and would love to see this show completed. I have seen pictures of the daughters and they are now in their late 50s and/or 60s now. It is hard to believe that shows in the 1980s are now approach 30 years old. I still remember the 1980s show vividly as i am in my mid forties now. There are some situational comedies that i like to see release such as the following:
1. Chico and the Man
2. The Ropers
3. Three's a Crowd

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
There seems to be SOME hope for Chico and the Man. A while back on the Warner Archive Facebook page, somebody asked about Chico and the Man and they responded by saying that the series was actually being looked into for a a standard mass market release (there was a thread about it here even http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/202437/chico-the-man-coming-to-dvd). As for The Ropers and Three's a Crowd, who knows when/if we'll see anything there. Anchor Bay released all of the seasons of Three's Company, and although every other TV series which the released is now out of print, they appear to be still actively producing copies of those sets and it still appears in their online catalog. I'm kind of hoping that they'll soon "relinquish" those rights so that another studio can take charge of the series, and perhaps in dealing with DLT (or whoever sells the distribution rights), they could make a package deal with one of the other distributors out there to not only re-release Three's Company, but perhaps pick up Three's a Crowd, The Ropers, and maybe even Too Close for Comfort too (even though it isn't connected to Three's Company, it is really the only other DLT series out there). This would be perfect for Image or Mill Creek (I'll admit, Mill Creek isn't the most desirable studio out there, but they do well for what they are, a low-budget studio providing low-cost DVDs), both of whom have been actively picking up the out-of-print Anchor Bay releases.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
skees53 said:
There seems to be SOME hope for Chico and the Man. A while back on the Warner Archive Facebook page, somebody asked about Chico and the Man and they responded by saying that the series was actually being looked into for a a standard mass market release (there was a thread about it here even http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/202437/chico-the-man-coming-to-dvd). As for The Ropers and Three's a Crowd, who knows when/if we'll see anything there. Anchor Bay released all of the seasons of Three's Company, and although every other TV series which the released is now out of print, they appear to be still actively producing copies of those sets and it still appears in their online catalog. I'm kind of hoping that they'll soon "relinquish" those rights so that another studio can take charge of the series, and perhaps in dealing with DLT (or whoever sells the distribution rights), they could make a package deal with one of the other distributors out there to not only re-release Three's Company, but perhaps pick up Three's a Crowd, The Ropers, and maybe even Too Close for Comfort too (even though it isn't connected to Three's Company, it is really the only other DLT series out there). This would be perfect for Image or Mill Creek (I'll admit, Mill Creek isn't the most desirable studio out there, but they do well for what they are, a low-budget studio providing low-cost DVDs), both of whom have been actively picking up the out-of-print Anchor Bay releases.
We begged and begged Anchor Bay to release The Ropers and Three's a Crowd. No luck. I think they had a limited window of two years to produce the 3's Company dvds, did so, and didn't generate as much money as they'd hoped--particularly on the later seasons. So they weren't in a hurry to license the spin-offs. Now I guess we should beg Mill Creek. I think that's our best bet. Shout would be another choice, and they could release each series as done-in-ones. Probably not a bad idea for any of these companies to look into it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Even if they did release the remaining four seasons, it still wouldn't be complete from my understanding.

Not sure about season 2, but season 1 was pretty infamous as one of the worst examples of cut tv shows that have been released on DVD, including the absence of the final scene of every episode.

Hopefully if it's unstalled, it would need to be done properly from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks