What's new

Too Big? (1 Viewer)

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
You guy's have totally screwed me up...:) I had plans to buy the 60XBR950 by the end of the year but now you got me thinking. It will go in a family room that I can't get real dark until night time which is when we watch movies so the pull down screen and FP sounds good. The only problem is I have an older Sony and want Hi Def capablity.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well, that changes things. I wouldn't use my PJ for everyday HD viewing, just for maybe superbowl, playoffs, stuff like that. You can get a pretty decent HD RPTV for $1200, and a PJ for $1200, and still have $600 to spend before your at the same amount I paid for my one tv.

So either way you go, you'll still do better than a lot of us did the first time around. Mike gave you some sound advice about where to go to look at pj's, good site.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
Christopher B - I'm hi-definitely not the best guy to recommend brands. I just got my Sony HS3 projector a week or two ago, and only got it set up over the weekend. I did read a load of opinions from folks on this forum and AVSforum.com but after I had bought the projector, (many of them hate my particular model). I had been mulling the idea for a while, and saw the ad in the Sunday paper for this unit at the magic sub-$1k price, ($997), so I stopped into the store to check it out. They had a great viewing room with a $3000 HS20 set up next to it for a side-by-side comparison. While the HS3 was obviously not as good, (not as "deep"(?), could see the Screen Door Effect - a grid that shows up between each pixel when you get close to the screen), it was still really good, and 1/3 the price. I haven't auditioned any other $800-$1500 FPs, and maybe I shouldn't, since I am really happy with the picture I'm getting at home. I like Sony products, some don't. They can be a bit pricey, but this one was on sale and fit my pocket.

Key considerations would be:

- can you get your room dark enough at the times you want to watch? You need it pretty dark, not necessarily pitch black.
- can you navigate the usual setup menus? If you want to use the same DVD player for both the FP and a regular TV, you'll have to switch the video output from the DVDP for one or the other. e.g. 4:3, 4:3 Letterboxed, 16:9, etc.
- Can you get far enough back from the screen to make it useful to have a 100+" picture?
- Do you have some sort of life for which you need to leave the house? You may find yourself staying in a lot once you see a 120" widescreen movie in your living room!

cabreau

Second Unit
I sit about 11 ft from my 110" screen and it's just right. So 50" at 8-9 ft would be too small if anything (not too big).

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I also sit at 11' feet from a 110" screen, and I could sit at 8-9 feet w/o any problem.

It's never too big! If my room was wider, I would have bought a 120" w/o a second taught!

You have to love those 3 chip LCOS, w/o any pixelation at 5' from the screen!:D

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the responses, I am sure glad I posted this before making any purchases. I think the purchase will have to wait a little while my fiance and I look at all the choices. Her kids will have to figure into it too, they were probably looking forward to watching Spongebob on a 60" TV! I think they will like the FP idea when they see a huge LOTR playing in the living room!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks