Tony Curtis - Dead at 85

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Steve_Pannell, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve
    Actor Tony Curtis has died:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/09/30/reports-actor-tony-curtis-dead/

2. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/r-i-p-tony-curtis/

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I met Tony twice at showings of "Some Like it Hot" and he was incredibly gracious. Another great star has left us.

Here's a funny story from the first time that I met him.

I was in line for him him to autograph a "Some Like it Hot" reproduction poster. Due to his failing hearing, he had an assistant writing names down on a post-it, but when it came to be my turn, his assistant was distracted by something else, so Tony asked me directly what my name was. I said Eric, and he didn't hear it right, so I started to spell E-R-I-C, and the first letter that he caught was C, so I started to re-spell, but it was too late. I ended up with a poster that said "To Crit". As soon as he was done, I could tell that he knew he had made a mistake, so he drew some additional decoration on the poster and I thanked him and left. That will be my Tony Curtis story for the rest of my life...and in many ways makes it more special than a correctly signed poster.

Thanks Tony!! RIP

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Headline news on Sky TV here . So sad, another Hollywood legend gone. [/url]

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

RIP Tony, thanks for all the laughter, you'll never be forgotten.

6. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I normally don't spend much time reading celebrity obits, even for some of those who meant more to me than others. And Tony Curtis actually didn't stand out as a personal favorite for me as much as many have. But today I started reading the NY Times obit, and found myself hanging on to every word. What a fascinating career and remarkable person. A great one lost, indeed. And of course it's a cliche, but they just don't make 'em like this anymore.

7. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Supporting Actor

My video from the LAHTF/Jules Verne Film Festival screenings of Houdini and Some Like It Hot at the Million Dollar Theater in Los Angeles. I didn't get to talk with him directly, but he was a very gracious guest. When he arrived at the theater amid all his fans and hoopla, he sat in his wheelchair, but instead of going inside, he wheeled over to a woman who was also in a wheelchair and asked if she wanted to race. He made the event very special.

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-tony-curtis-20101001,0,5186692,full.story