What's new

TomTom iPhone Dock, anyone? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Question. Is there some trick to making the TomTom app let you enter in exact address for destination?

I can't seem to figure out how to do that consistently. In fact, I think I've only managed to do it once or twice in the couple weeks time I've spent w/ it on the iPad. It seems to keep insisting I enter destinations using cross streets/roads (w/ usual options to go w/ POI, Google search, etc.) instead of exact address.

Still using the previous version here as I have very little incentive to update, especially given the hassle it takes to do the update for so little gain.

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Navigate to...
Address
Then enter consecutively:
City
Street
Number
Again, it compares poorly to Maps and Google. Why doesn't it let me paste in an address copied from Maps or and email? Why is it still a slave to a GPS device design limitations from a decade ago?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have an app for Navigon that lets me type in a specific address then it opens up the Navagon app with the full address in the destination.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have that too: NavNow app? I loved it, especially for getting addresses out of Yelp or AroundMe. Unfortunately, after an update last year, TomTom takes the addreses as GPS coordinates, rather than street names. I it's practically useless if I might want to grab that address again out of "Recent", or to add it as a Favorite.

There's a bigger need for iOS to support apps communicating with each other. The hope is that iOS6 will bring something that feature, and the ability for address-finding apps to send locations to TomTom (or other) to be made standard.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've never liked Tomtom. The maps are ugly and I never got along with the GUI. Garmin was always my favorite but they have a lousy iPhone app so Navigon seems best to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Though I've got complaints, both my wife and I have found TomTom extremely useful. When I bought in 2010, TomTom seemed the best reviewed, and best map quality. Since then, it seems Navigon has gotten better. Unfrotunately, Garmin, which was the actual GPS we had before our iPhones, had no app in 2010. And the app since has gotten lesser reviews.

I'd originally planned to get the TomTom GPS-mount kit. But it won't work with my car adapter. And while an improved GPS reception would be nice, it's not been necessary.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
DaveF said:
Navigate to...
Address
Then enter consecutively:
City
Street
Number
Again, it compares poorly to Maps and Google. Why doesn't it let me paste in an address copied from Maps or and email? Why is it still a slave to a GPS device design limitations from a decade ago?
Strange. That seems to work fine in most(?) cases, but not in some others for me. Seems to depend a lot on the street name I use for whatever reason. For instance, it always asks me for cross street w/ no option to enter building number when I try Arlington, VA --> Potamac Ave, which was where we often needed to go during our trip to the DC area.
Oh well...
_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is it a case of the name not matching its database and needing additional information?

I come across maps error too, from time to time, that cause address entry problems. I find that NavTech maps, which is where TomTom gets the info, tends to be about five years out of date.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Of possible interest to iOS GPS afficionados (I thought there was a more general GPS thread but I can't find it): http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/12/4091036/automatic-for-iphone-displays-car-mileage-location-crash-response Kind of like a GPS in reverse, giving metrics on where you have been and how you got there instead of where you are going...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's pretty cool. I'll have to look into it further. For a cheap and easy app, that gives much the same thing and helps track regular services, try Car Care. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/car-care-fuel-economy-mpg/id284946069?mt=8

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Whatever happened to the TomTom GPS dock? Did they update it for the iphone5?The latest app update brought some overdue improvements, but it falls further behind in map-UI competency.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We did, don't recall which thread it was in. iOS 6 has walking directions in maps. Are they not spoken? (No voice of any sort on my iphone 4, so I can't check)I've come to terms with Apple Maps. It's adequate except, ironically, for walking in big cities. I'm looking forward to trying out voice nav on a new iPhone 5S, and seeing if I can uninstall TomTom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks