What's new

Tom Petty "Damn The Torpedoes" on Blu-ray AUDIO (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Figured it was high time this got a thread of it's own. This thing sounds really friggin' sweet, nice to see a respected artist embrace the technology.

http://damnthetorpedoes.tompetty.com/index.html

The Blu-ray version of the album will be released on a high-resolution audio Blu-ray disc, featuring the original stereo mix and new 5.1 surround sound mix. The 24-bit 96K audio on the Blu-ray disc contains 256 times more resolution than a CD, providing greater detail and reproducing the music’s full dynamic range, from the softest to the loudest sounds. As a bonus the Blu-ray disc also includes the original music videos for “Here Comes My Girl” and “Refugee.”

The first 15,000 copies of the vinyl and Blu-ray editions include a free download of the entire album in one of three high quality digital formats (320k MP3, 24/96 FLAC, or Apple Lossless), redeemable until November 9, 2011.

Disc One – Original Album

* 1. Refugee
* 2. Here Comes My Girl
* 3. Even The Losers
* 4. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)
* 5. Century City
* 6. Don’t Do Me Like That
* 7. You Tell Me
* 8. What Are You Doin’ In My Life?
* 9. Louisiana Rain

Disc Two – Bonus Tracks

* 1. Nowhere *
* 2. Surrender *
* 3. Casa Dega/B-side
* 4. It’s Rainin’ Again/B-side
* 5. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Live – Hammersmith Odeon 1980 *
* 6. Don’t Do Me Like That/Live – Hammersmith Odeon 1980 *
* 7. Somethin’ Else/Live – Hammersmith Odeon 1980 *
* 8. Casa Dega/Demo *
* 9. Refugee/Alternate Take *

* Previously unreleased

Audio options on all 18 tracks and two music videos:
5.1 96kHz/24bit DTS-HD Master Audio
5.1 96kHz/24bit PCM
2.0 96kHz/24bit PCM

Region: All

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
From Sound + Vision Magazine -

“That was the record where the dam burst.” And that’s Tom Petty, succinctly assessing the impact of his breakthrough monster of a third album with the Heartbreakers, 1979’s Damn the Torpedoes.

The assessment springs from the rec- ord’s entry in Eagle Vision’s series of Classic Albums — and my advice is to view all 98 minutes of that documentary first when enjoying these two Torpedoes titles on Blu-ray.

In keeping with the Classic Albums proce- dure, Petty, the Heartbreakers, co-producer Jimmy Iovine, and engineer Shelly Yakus all get behind the board to deconstruct the al- chemy of this seamless album. For example, one of the keys to “Here Comes My Girl” is unlocked when Petty — noting the blend of Mike Campbell’s guitar arpeggios and Ben- mont Tench’s piano melody on the chorus — says this: “You had to come from the South to play that lick.” (It just feels so good and so free and so right.)

Then it’s time to fire up the best thing on the “Blu-ray Audio” version of the Torpedoes Deluxe Edition: the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix, which was perhaps borne from a seed planted in a 2009 interview I conducted with Petty, when I suggested he “revisit older stu- dio material” in surround. The mix follows the 5.1 approach that producer Ryan Ulyate set for Mojo, letting the band’s intuitive live-off- the-floor interplay be the star. (For our special coverage of that album and its multichannel mix, see the exclusive “Mojo Workin’ ” in our June/July/August 2010 issue, also available on our Web site.)

“Don’t Do Me Like That” illustrates Ulyate’s approach beautifully, starting with Tench’s signature organ intro electrifying the track front and center. The all-channels reverb on Petty’s lead vocal lends the proper sense of space and warmth. Meanwhile, Tench’s piano support on the verses is properly centered, as Campbell’s tasteful lead guitar is spread across the front sound field.

“Even the Losers” charges forth with Stan Lynch’s all-encompassing drum-and-cymbal intro. That quickly transitions to Ron Blair’s bass line moping in the center channel be- fore the famous spoken lead-in, “It’s just the normal noises in here.” And if you crave some bottom-end kick, “You Tell Me” has guest bassist Donald “Duck” Dunn loping down low in all corners, with Campbell’s sinewy slide caressing the surround channels.

Bonus tracks include three contempora- neous live cuts, two videos, and four non- album studio numbers (two unreleased, two from B-sides). The latter four point to Petty’s instincts for self-editing, which helped to create this tight, perfect 36:30 album.

What should Petty, Ulyate, and company do next in 5.1? Hmmm, let’s see: 2011 is the 30th anniversary of Hard Promises, and I have a serious hankering to hear Tom and Stevie Nicks harmonize in surround on “Insid- er.” So whaddaya say, guys? As we all know, the waiting is the hardest part.

— MIKE METTLER

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks