What's new

Tom & Jerry: Spotlight Collection, Vol. 2 - 10/25 (1 Viewer)

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
To the easily pleased Mr Garvey, if your advocating or ignoring unnecessary editing/dialogue replacement, obvious lack of quality control (having the same cartoon twice) and minimal digital clean-up on the second volume of a dvd series that collectors have been waiting for and who complained about these very issues the first time around, then your posting on the wrong forum!

HTF members have been nitpicking for nearly a decade and as a result to many studio's listening to our valid complaints, criticisms and want's we are getting a generally high quality product with the standard raising every year.

IS WB probably the best dvd studio? Yes.

Have they cocked-up tom and jerry for the 2nd time in 12 months? Yes.

3rd time lucky guys - or preferably that complete box set us collector's really want.

M

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Here's hoping one of the 52 announced WB box sets for 2006 is Tom & Jerry, every cartoon, complete, uncut, un-edited, un-substituted, un-dialogue replaced, un-duplicated and actually with some clean-up restoration on the pre-scope toon's.

If not :-(

M

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

I remember reading on one of Jaime Weinman's Blogs that George Feltenstein is hoping (and fighting a probably uphill battle) to bring the the classic cartoons under his jurisdiction. If that's true i'm hoping the change of leadership at WHV's family animation division will make it easier for him.

Edit: Here's the blog i'm talking about, http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2005/10/...tainment.html.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
As someone who openly slated WB's handling of Tom & Jerry thus far, I am extremely pleased to be able to thank them for the replacement programme that was announced at the chat last night. I have a couple of question's though:

1) Will international customer's be able to return their R1 disc's for replacement?

2) What exactly is the purpose of the replacement - is it removing/replacing the duplicate cartoon on set 2, restoring the original audio on the toon's with dialogue replacement, an improvement in the poor picture quality on the academy ratio short's or a progressive upgrade to the interlaced toon's - or a combination of all 4?

Regards

M

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'd also like to know Anthony, I was hoping to be able to ask WB directly last night?

Also, could we get a relative timeframe for when this will be put into effect?

Will this correct any edited TV prints that were sourced and restore the original soundtracks? Will it drop the anual 'Texas Tom' inclusion?

I'm more interested in hearing about a replacement program for Vol. 1 as that one really got the short end of the stick with cut and incomplete prints.

I haven't bought any of these yet as a result of the quality control that went into their initial release, but I am considering picking them all up now that Warner is making good on them with the replacement program.

I hope to hear more info soon.

Thanks a lot WB, and please don't keep us waiting too long with an update on these.

PS - You should've seen the initial question I'd had typed up for you last night concerning this! ;)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
One more question for WB --

Are there ANY chances that we'll see corrected sets in stores or that more comprehensive "fixed" collections will surface in the not-too-distant future?

THANK YOU!!!

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
So they are going to offer replacements for Tom & Jerry Vol 2, buy not Vol 1? Is that correct?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I.. uh.. :D

Mods - see my Popeye post.

This also belongs int he Film forum.

The announcement was not for the Tom & Jerry Show on DVD, but for the individual theatrical presentation of these films.

In fact, part of the reason why so many of us were upset about these releases and why WHV is offering us REPLACEMENT DISCS now... is because on the past two releases, a number of cartoons were ACCIDENTALLY sourced from the TV prints which is exactly what we are voicing against!

So I think it's safe to say that this thread belongs in the Film forum with the other classic movie announcements.

You wouldn't place the Stooges in the TV forum, would you?

I'd argue that they've probably had a longer life on television than Tom & Jerry and CERTAINLY more exposure than the Fleischer Popeyes!

So just because they are 7 minutes long, clearly does not detract from the fact that they are THEATRICAL FILM PRESENTATIONS.

They were not produced for TV.

Sorry to make an issue of this, but if not for people like us who care and fight for the preservation of these films, they would still be neglected and rotting away in some dusty studio vaults. And we would not have any of these treasures available to us on home video today because they'd be deemed unviable and company's wouldn't care to invest their resources towards children's programs.

It's important that we view them for what they are and inform the masses.

Thanks.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
This thread started in the film forum last year, so I've no idea why it's suddenly been moved, these aren't TV product!

M

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Agreed please move thread back to the Forum that shows respect for these films otherwise we might as well accept the TV prints that we already received.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if they're aware of these recent posts, perhaps somebody would like to p.m. them to inform them?

Edit: I went ahead and took the liberty of messaging Robert.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After some discussion among the HTF Staff, the decision was made to move this thread back to Software.

Crawdaddy

Paul Willson-Morris

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Willson
In addition to the dialogue replacements on those cartoons already mentioned I believe that the first episode also has an alteration.. In the original version of Puss gets the boot, mammy two shoes tells jasper he is going 'O - W - T, out!' I think the spelling has been corrected in the redubbed version. So one more to fix Warner.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Nice work Sarah. That's a lot of censorship. These poor cartoons have been cut to ribbons. I hate to support bootleggers but Warner is leaving us little choice in the matter.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Nope. I called in before it was set up too, had the rep call me back for my information.

Any news would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks