What's new

to upgrade or not (1 Viewer)

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
well it looks like we are bulding a new house and i have free rain on the ht. i have nod decided on the final dimentions but it will be around 20 by 28 feet curentley i have 4 avalanch 18 in a ib setup with 1000 wats rms but my theater is 16 by 22 so should i upgrade to a tulumunt or will the avas be enough?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are very few choices that would be an upgrade from 18" Avalanches. Since the availablity of the Tumult is scarce at best and the price increases, it may not be a good idea. Maybe you could go with one of the new models from TC Sounds. Their 18's aren't out yet but eight 15" TC-3000's would move quite a bit of air.

-Robert

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
My HT is 20x30x10 + big openings to other rooms/hall and my IB with 4 Atlas 15's seems to have more output than I'll ever ask for. I find that much of the concern about room size tends to be a bit overblown. Yeah, I know "SPL decays at 6db per doubling of distance" but unless you're sitting all the way across the room from the manifold, you don't actually have to double the woofers for a room that's twice as big. You'll get less compression gain, but you can still get lots of boundary gain.

I wouldn't worry at all about the Avalanches. If you're really itching to upgrade then you could consider going to a 2000 watt amplifier. The Ava's should handle this fine - just don't use a lot of boost under 20Hz. It would only gain you 3dB's but the net cost would be very reasonable if you sold your 1000 watt amp and maybe even bought a used amp. Much, much cheaper than upgrading woofers to something that could be considered an upgrade from 4 Ava 18's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks