What's new

to project or not - puzzled new member (1 Viewer)

jack gilbert

Auditioning
I found the Home Theater Forum site through today’s Wall Street Journal article. I’m a new Forum member in need of very basic advice.

I have a room I want to make into a home theater. I will use it to watch dvds and play my home made digital videos that I edit on a mac computer. The audience will be two or three people most of the time.

Sound matters very little to me – I suppose I’ll use my old pair of Advent large stereo speakers. Surround sound doesn’t seem important.

It’s picture quality that I care about, although I’m not a fanatic – up to now, I’ve never had anything larger than a 19-inch TV – without digital cable. I don’t even have a dvd player yet – I’m a real primitive by the standards of this place, I guess.

What I do have is an empty, carpeted, rectangular room with ten-foot ceilings. It measures twelve feet wide and fifteen feet deep. So the maximum screen size/viewing area is ten feet high by twelve feet wide. In addition, the back of the room is open. There is no wall. It opens into another room. So a video projector can be placed as far as thirty feet away from the screen.

My threshold decision is what type of viewing hardware to get: a 36-inch Wega, an even bigger HDTV, a 60-inch rear projection TV, or a video projector. The latter fascinates me, but I know very little about it. I will sacrifice the supposedly near-perfect picture quality of a Wega for the impact of filling up an entire wall with the projected image of a projector – as long as that image is reasonably sharp.

That’s calls for a subjective judgment, but I don’t know anybody with a video projector in their home, so I’m at a loss as to how to make such a decision. I’ve read about projectors, know the replacement bulbs are expensive, and that the cost will be in the range of the above-mentioned alternatives – $3K or more including a movie screen.

All of that is OK with me. I am assuming that a good projector can be had for around $2K-3K and a screen for $1K. If it takes more $, however, to get a truly decent picture, then I’ll consider that too. But I’m no perfectionist.

The few local vendors I have talked with (briefly) seem to contradict each other, and seem to have their own agenda: some hate projectors and push Wegas, etc. etc.

I’m in no special hurry. I probably won’t make a decision for months, so I’m glad I found this site early on.

I confuse easily but nevertheless eagerly await your advice.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jack:
One place to check out is Robert Fowkes's HT, his HT was pictured in the WSJ article, by going Link Removed.
This should give you some ideas and let you see what a good LCD projector can do.
Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks